Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
question that has bothered me for a while — Parallax Forums

question that has bothered me for a while

science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
edited 2008-08-30 04:00 in Propeller 1
i was wondering about displays, i have a 4d systems display with a built in processor, its the 324028 uoled w/ touch screen, it has a built in processor and it has two pins that say "tx" and "rx" i was wondering if it would be at all to control this display with the prop, i know this isnt really a question, but more of a request of info, i need to know if i can use this with the prop without having to program the display, or as little as possible

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-29 17:53
    RX/TX lines implies a serial interface. So yes, you could use the Propeller to communicate with this display although you will need the datasheet for the command list.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-08-29 18:00
    It might be asynchronous serial, directly drivable with FullDuplexSerial. Does it have a 'clk' pin or something labeled like that of any sort? Actually, looking at the manual, it appears that it is asynchronous serial, so yes, you can drive it with a Propeller. I cannot find any information on the baud rate.
    Why did you not just look at the datasheet?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
    edited 2008-08-29 18:29
    im not good with communication, thats why i asked, actually thats kind of the bases for my project im doing for school, just to learn it, no clk pin on it, i didnt look at the data sheet because i am still new to the prop and am not totally understanding of serial communication, my next million dollar question is, How do·i start a serial communication interface to it to just display stuff for like debugging purposes, just to get started learning how to do this, from what i understand about this display it is the same as the other smaller displays, thanx for the help and the awesome fast response
  • tpw_mantpw_man Posts: 276
    edited 2008-08-29 21:20
    Well I don't have time to sort through the datasheet more, but here is some generic serial code. It would probably not work for the display without the correct commands, but the idea is there.

con
    _clkmode = xtal1+pll16x 'assumes 5 mhz crystal
    _xinfreq = 5_000_000

obj
    ser : "fullduplexserial"

pub main
    ser.start(<rxpin>, <txpin>, 0, <baud rate>)
    ser.str(string("Hello World!")) 'NOTE: will probably not work without the correct commands

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    I am 1011, so be surprised!

Advertisement sponsored by dfletch:
    Come and join us on the Propeller IRC channel for fast and easy help!
    Channel: #propeller
    Server: irc.freenode.net or freenode.net
    If you don't want to bother installing an IRC client, use Mibbit. www.mibbit.com
    tongue.gif
  • science_geekscience_geek Posts: 247
    edited 2008-08-29 21:32
    that is perfect, thank you so much, ive been trying to figure this stuff out and that is the push i needed, i think i can get it from here, but thanx a million, now, how do i go about getting time to play with this stuff, anyway, thanks a ton
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,656
    edited 2008-08-30 04:00
    I use the same display though not currently with the Prop. You do indeed just need RX and TX. There are two firmware PmmC's available - Serial and 4DGL.

The Serial PmmC is probably simpler to get started with. The first command to issue is a single character 'U' which will let the display auto sync to your baud rate. After that you can send commands for lines, circles, text etc. If you want to read the touch screen you have to poll it with a '$T' command which returns the X,Y and touch status.

The 4DGL PmmC might be better if you have lots of menus or touch interaction etc. But you end up with two source codes for your project (one on the Prop and one on the uOled)

Good luck!
    tubular