Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
4-Phase / 12 Volt Unipolar Stepper Motor Question — Parallax Forums

4-Phase / 12 Volt Unipolar Stepper Motor Question

kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
edited 2008-08-30 16:52 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

··· Ok I admit to being a dummy but can someone please tell me in layman terms how much torque does Parallax's 4-Phase / 12 Volt Unipolar Stepper Motor have?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
When you spend 10 times what it cost to build it yourself - That's when it becomes a HOBBY !

···································································

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-08-29 14:58
    78.4mN·m, pull-out torque : 27.6mN·m/200pps, and pull-in torque :26.5mN·m/200pps (12V DC).
    http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/datast/MitsumiStepMotor.pdf
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2008-08-29 15:00
    I read that what does 200pps stand for?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When you spend 10 times what it cost to build it yourself - That's when it becomes a HOBBY !

edited 2008-08-29 15:03
    pulses per second (speed/input)?

Also of interest --
    http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/foot-pounds-to-newton-meters-conversion.html

Post Edit -- Yeah, "pulses per second", final answer, bonk.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 8/29/2008 3:10:02 PM GMT
    edited 2008-08-29 15:06
    Ok still not understanding Servos have LBS of torque how many Pounds of torque? How does it compare to a standard Parallax Servo?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-08-29 15:12
    Motor torque can be expressed as foot-pounds, inch-pounds, Newton-meters, or in this case of this unit -- milliNewton-meters.

If you'd simply use the calculator I posted a link to

0.027 Nm = 0.02 foot-pounds

Seems not a lot.

Attitudes.
    edited 2008-08-29 15:14
    Thanks not enough to turn a screw on a plotter table then. Thanks Again

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-08-29 15:20
    · I already have 3 stepping motors but have not been able to find a cheap drive for them. Can anyone help me out in locating a cheap driver for these motors. I have attached the PDF sheet for them. These are a different motor that what Parallax is selling and should have the power I need.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (kenwtn) : 8/29/2008 3:53:39 PM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-29 15:46
    Bear in mind that the Stepper Motor we currently have in is always subject to change at any time. It is always a 12V Unipolar Stepper Motor, but the exact specifications may change somewhat as we only carry this motor for education (and proof of concept) purposes. This motor is not intended for end-use applications. You should always choose a Stepper Motor based on the needs of your project and then choose the appropriate driver or controller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2008-08-29 15:48
    I have learned that the hard way, that is why I am asking so many questions now before I buy anything else. Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Bill SturmBill Sturm Posts: 11
    edited 2008-08-30 04:49
    Gecko drives look to be a decent low end drive. I have used drives/motors from Automation Direct with good results. Anaheim Automation and Lin Engineering have been around awhile also. Lots of options.
    edited 2008-08-30 14:26
    Bill,
    Thank you so much for the information, the GECKO DRIVE seems to be just the ticket for what I need.

Thanks Again

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2008-08-30 16:52
    Bear in mind that with drivers like the gecko, the stamp has to provide the step pulses, so processing speed becomes an issue. The sx and prop are more suited for this kind of driver. Actual controllers like the bistep and stepu take commands from the stamp and drive the motors themselves, so the stamp doesn't have to. Looking at the gecko site, the new 250/ 251 look pretty good at the sale pricing. May have to get a couple of those myself.