Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Is Correct — Parallax Forums

Is Correct

Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
edited 2008-08-28 23:13 in Propeller 1
Hi All,

Not wishing to chuck another spanner in to the works, but is there even the slightest chance that the next rev of this chip will comply to even a basic PAL specification, hopefully more on the European side of things!

For me is not good enough to rely on·my TV, or video monitor being able to auto select. That precludes some nice video projects being created on the current Propeller even. I would have wished to know beforehand about this limitation. At the very least the next rev of the datasheet could be able to demonstrate the actual PAL output specification.

I do realise this topic has already been done to death, several times over. Also will be of little interest to over 99.9% of the members here that use NTSC, or those that accept the current PAL output quality as useable for their projects.

Thoughts please from other Europeans.

With Regards

Mike.

(Sorry for misleading Post title, seems not possible for me to correct) Not sure how this happened!?

Post Edited (Mike_GTN) : 8/28/2008 10:28:35 PM GMT

Comments

• cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2008-08-28 22:32
    Mike,

Does tv.spin not do PAL okay? It worked great when I developed it, but perhaps there's some problem. In any case, it's not a hardware limitation that would cause PAL to not work, it's a matter of software.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-08-28 23:13
    Thanks Chip,

I don't see this as being real PAL output. Did you never notice the lack of Colour (Color) Issue? Buzzing etc when using tv spin etc on a real genuine "PAL" only monitor. To me seems to rely on hardware outside of the current Propeller (Monitor or TV internal decoding Circuits - Multistandard etc) Certainly get a great NTSC signal (All new Tv's and monitors are smart enough to detect and accomodate) Would be of no value if I was to offer a device that generated PAL output 1v p-p across 75ohm into "anything" capable of receiving this signal. I would be totally doomed from the start, 5 might work and 100 might not!

I was more interested in exactly what PAL specification you went with for the original design... As far as I know this has never been offically disclosed. We have had all the speculation on PAL-M (Close enough to NTSC to get away with things) This topic has come up before and also become somewhat heated. We already had the Baggers 50Hz modification, that killed 90% of the Colour ringing, and dot crawl. Looked good on some screens but failed the test on too many others.

Thank you for your technical considerations.

Regards

Mike.