Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tempest clone beginnings — Parallax Forums

Tempest clone beginnings

Jesse DruehlJesse Druehl Posts: 25
edited 2008-09-06 01:50 in Propeller 1
Here is a rough beginning for a tempest clone. Code is setup for protoboard TV on P4. Protoboard mouse controls.

pseudo 3D, dynamic drawing of playfield. I think I can also do the traverse to next level using just scaling of coordinates.

I'm still learning Spin and it's crazy operators, feedback would be awesome.

Currently only level rendering and player position is supported WITH bugs.
While moving counter-clockwise, my position loop fails on wrap-around. Another bug with drawing the current location when it is on position 16 (last line not drawn)

This is only about 2 hours work but I figured it would be beneficial to post early.

Having fun,
Jesse
W5JCD

Comments

• Jesse DruehlJesse Druehl Posts: 25
    edited 2008-08-29 19:37
    Fixed the drawing bugs.
    Now I just need to figure out how to scale the bullet sprites, maybe use a vector sprite * ? The enemies will be vector sprites, although I don't fully understand how to define the vector definitions. confused.gif

Drawing the tempest is the next thing I will work on, going to be tricky since it "leans" before it moves to the next position. I think I will try to do it dynamically like the playfield. Starting from the endpoints of the line the tempest is on, and having a mouse "deadband" zone that changes the drawing angles until the deadband is passed, and then jump to next segment.

Attached is a Mame screenshot, what I have been working from.

Jesse
    W5JCD

Post Edited (Jesse Druehl) : 8/29/2008 11:19:13 PM GMT
    360 x 480 - 11K
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,360
    edited 2008-08-29 19:47
    That was one of my favorite games! I hope you get it working.

Is that image from the Propeller?
  • Jesse DruehlJesse Druehl Posts: 25
    edited 2008-08-29 20:09
    No, it's just a Mame screenshot, sorry.
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,658
    edited 2008-09-06 01:50
    Tempest was the first game I played that felt just right. It was so well matched to it's hardware. The colour vectorscope display that could be over-driven and the weighted single axis encoder that fitted like a glove.

Because of that input device it's also being one of the hardest games to port and still be playable. Mouse/Keyboard/Joystick/... none do it justice.

Evan