Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GPS — Parallax Forums

Parallax GPS

MegaSpinMegaSpin Posts: 9
edited 2008-08-29 17:31 in Propeller 1
does the Parallax GPS work with the Propeller Proto board? Also, how does it compute the heading? Does it actually have to be movig?

I'm new to this stuff! Help is much appreciated.

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-28 02:40
    Hello,

Yes, the GPS Module is compatible with the Propeller Proto Board. It calculates heading based on the current coordinates in relation to the previous reading. Because of this it needs to be moving to calculate the heading accurately. More expensive GPS units use a separate compass for this purpose.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-28 02:42
    MegaSpin -

I think the Parallax GPS module is 5V compatiable. So, you need to be sure to supply it with the 5V DC power supply. Also on the serial output you may want to put a 1K resistor to limit the current into the Propeller pin. I haven't set this up myself with the GPS module, but I know in general this should be done on 5V devices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • sylvie369sylvie369 Posts: 1,622
    edited 2008-08-28 03:19
    I did have a setup with the Parallax GPS going into the Propeller, and yes, I did use a 1K resistor going into the Propeller pin.
  • MegaSpinMegaSpin Posts: 9
    edited 2008-08-29 01:00
    Thanks for that info, it really helps for a noob like me

In general, should a resistor be used for serial outs to the propeller?
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-29 02:36
    Well....not exactly. The reason we are using it here because a 5V system is talking to a 3.3V system and we want to drop the voltage (or limit the current) from the 5V system to the 3.3V system. A 3.3V serout out on a device is OK to connect directly to a Prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-08-29 17:31
    Generally anything that uses the _exact_ same source doesn't need a resistor, but if the sources are different use a resistor when going from Higher source to lower source. This can is true even if the voltages are the same (but gotten from different sources). Say your operating the Propeller off a 3.3V regulator and you plug a sensor board that operates at 3.3V but you feed 5V to the board (IOW it has it's own regulator on it's board), then resistors should be placed on all signal lines between the Propeller and the sensor. This is because the two 3.3V sources may not actually be the same, one might be at 3.2V while the other is 3.4V, so the resistors are needed to limit any current flowing due to supply mismatch.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.