Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
ImageCraft IDE — Parallax Forums

ImageCraft IDE

Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
edited 2008-08-27 19:39 in Propeller 1
ImageCraft stated in a recent weblog that:
said...
As for Visual Studio, while working with Microsoft always carries a risk (I have personal experience with working for 2 rather large companies that had partnership agreements with Microsoft), in the end, it seems to be the right decision. I have gotten clarification from Microsoft that we will in effect be able to ship a copy of the Visual Studio 2008 IDE (sans the Microsoft compiler) as part of our compiler package free of charge to us and to the customers. People that use their own IDEs (including Eclipse and command line users) will not be affected, and we will get a world class IDE with a lot less work and support cost than if we write our own.

For myself, that is welcome news. Is that still the case?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
JMH

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 14,242
    edited 2008-08-27 01:51
    I think you can already get the "Express" edition of VS2008 free from Microsoft...
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-08-27 02:09
    The quoted text states that the agreement allows ImageCraft to use the IDE without the Microsoft compiler.

This would provide a compiler framework that would not be tied to a specific compiler.
    Having used Microsoft products in my professional coding since 1985, that news would be welcome.
    The traditional IDE that ImageCraft provides would not be affected.

Read the complete weblog: imagecraft.wordpress.com/

The article states that the Express Edition is not extensible and, therefore, locked.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH

Post Edited (Quantum) : 8/27/2008 2:14:35 AM GMT
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-08-27 12:59
    Quantum: That means that you had the ahem *pleasure* of working with "The programmers workbench". Visual studio is clearly better. And people complain about emacs and vim... nothing can be worst, even the editor in the Norton commander was better !
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-27 13:23
    Hey! I use the vi syntax coloring command-line editor all the time! Can't stand emacs or people who try to force it down my throat (that happened in Cisco often). There are big learning curves on both and I miss things like selection indent, but very little mousing is required and it works on telnet/ssh connections. I think the Propeller IDE is wonderful and Visual C# is a good tool, but there are things I can do in vim in less than a second with little motion that would take several seconds and much mousing to do otherwise. Someday I'll stop using vi ... when they pull my cold dead fingers off the keyboard [noparse]:)[/noparse]

BTW: Nice blog Richard. Go tell it on the mountain!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
    edited 2008-08-27 13:30
    Again, the web log mentions nothing about C#. The Intellisense and other aspects of the IDE would be
    provided and ImageCraft will impliment the hooks and callbacks to make it uniquely their own.

By the way, I admire VI. It is a very sophisticated editor.
    Any editor can be called by the Visual Studio Framework, with varying degrees of integration,
    depending on the object model of the editor.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH

Post Edited (Quantum) : 8/27/2008 1:56:52 PM GMT
    edited 2008-08-27 15:14
    Cool. Looks like VSE2008 C++ can use a makefile to specify another toolchain just like Eclipse.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
    edited 2008-08-27 15:26
    Steve,

In the business applications that I have written, I managed to explore the Object Model of the MS Visual Studio environment to enable me to integrate custom functions and compiler interactions that greatly enhanced the basic IDE. In doing so, I have a feel for the magnitude of the changes. Once you know your way around the Object Model, it becomes a fairly painless exercise.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
    edited 2008-08-27 15:40
    I've attempted an IDE project in VC#, and ended up with something usable for VM bytecodes, but other things like higher level language source highlighting, etc were a pain. Having a basic platform already created is very welcome!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
    edited 2008-08-27 15:52
    Steve,

Yes, I agree. That was a very smart business decision on ImageCraft's part.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH - Electronics: Engineer - Programming: Professional
  • ImageCraftImageCraft Posts: 348
    edited 2008-08-27 19:39
    JMH / Quantum - please email me off-list richard @ imagecraft.com, thanks! smile.gif

re: vi
    I have the commands embedded in my fingertips. My first programming project in C was to write a ex clone for the (gasp) TOPS-10.