Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
lost propeller on comx — Parallax Forums

lost propeller on comx

JeffIntJeffInt Posts: 6
edited 2008-08-28 20:37 in Propeller 1
Hi all

Getting a strange warning when I download code to my parallax propeller, the IDE reports it has lost the propeller during verification. Anyone had a similar experience, got a fix?

This occured whilst trying to create an app which reads i2c data and uses a serial debug terminal linked to the usb programming dongle.

I am quite sure that I closed the terminal before dowloading the i2c app.

Regards

Jeff

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-08-26 00:30
    JeffInt,

This same thing happens to me all the time. I'm running Windows XP and assumed it's just one of those things you get when Bill Gates is under the hood. It sometimes happens when my 9 volt battery gets low, too. But most of the time there doesn't seem to be any explanation - except that Bill Gates is somehow involved. Normally I just keep hitting the F11 button and try downloading over and over until it finally works without grunting at me and telling me that the propeller is lost, or can't be found on any port, etc. The oddest thing is that it sometimes succeeds in loading the program and the thing starts running despite saying it lost the chip. But sometimes it just reboots the old program and you THINK your new software has been downloaded and working when, in fact, you're looking at old code in operation. Whenever I encounter anything Windows I just grit my teeth and steel myself to the inevitable glitchyness of it all.

Welcome to the world of Windows operating systems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It might be the Information Age but the Eon of Ignorance has yet to end.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-26 00:47
    This problem often happens if Windows is downloading some kind of update and you have a slow-ish processor or less than ideal amount of RAM for Windows.· The latest versions of the Propeller Tool are supposed to help in this regard.· If you don't have the latest, download it from Parallax and install it.
    edited 2008-08-26 01:27
    Yes, Mike, I think you're right about that. My laptop always seems to be doing everything except the task in front of me. Time and again I've gone through trying to purge it of extracurricular activities, but there's always something sneaking around in some layer somewhere, Norton protection most often. I guess the choice seems to be security or speed, take your pick. In reality, I'm probably getting neither.

thanks,
    Mark

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,243
    edited 2008-08-26 01:33
    Make sure you have the latest Prop tool (v1.2)
    edited 2008-08-26 01:56
    Thanks, Rayman. For me, I have version 1.2, which I assume is the latest. Just out of curiosity: if one were to re-install the Prop Tool, would it wipe out one's library, etc. where one might have stored one's Spin files?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • JeffIntJeffInt Posts: 6
    edited 2008-08-28 20:37
    Okay, this turned out to be a flagging battery. Re-charging the battery returned normal function. I imagine there was enough power to communicate but not enough to program the eeprom.

Anyway onto other perplexing problems ....

Thanks for all suggestions.