Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Open a door with a servo or stepper motor help. — Parallax Forums

Open a door with a servo or stepper motor help.

Dave-WDave-W Posts: 94
edited 2008-08-24 06:49 in BASIC Stamp
All,
I need some help finding the hardware for a home control program.
It will be comparing the inside temperature to the outside temperature and humidity. If the outside temp and humidity is below a set value and the inside temp / humidity is above a preset level I want to open the attic access door,·turn off·the AC,·and turn on the whole house attic fan. When the inside temp / humidity drops below a preset level I want to close the door and turn off the fan. I already have the sensors in place.

The door is a light weight 3 foot wide by 2 foot high door. I do have a pair of·revolution revloution servos I can use but lack the hardware necessary to control this door. Does anyone have an idea and know of a source for the hardware?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
D. A. Wreski

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-08-24 05:10
    Don't know exactly what your setup is but you could use a linear actuator to open and close the door. How do you do this now?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-24 05:41
    If you have the servos, how do you lack for hardware? The easiest way to connect a servo would probably be to use a rod from one of the horns to a point a couple of inches out on the door.
  • GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-08-24 06:28
    Is it a sliding door or a hinged door? You would need to actuate the knob on a hinged door. Or just use a solenoid to punch the strike back in.
  • GICU812GICU812 Posts: 289
    edited 2008-08-24 06:49
    Hey since we're on the topic, does anyone know of an affordable electric deadbolt?