Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Hitchhiker Program — Parallax Forums

Hitchhiker Program

Earl FosterEarl Foster Posts: 185
edited 2008-08-21 19:33 in Propeller 1
I am introducing a pilot program.· Since the winter of 2005 I have been involved in unmanned high altitude ballooning.· I have setup my system to accommodate additional experiments referred to as a “hitchhikers”.· The program is designed to promote science, mathematics, and engineering.· Currently operating under the exempt rules of FAA Part 101 subpart “a” governing unmanned balloon flight, HAPB flies to altitudes above 90,000 feet and is designed to be tracked, perform various experiments and be recovered.
·
The fundamental principle behind the Hitchhiker Program is to use shared computer resources for individual experiments while primary mission objectives and flight operations are in progress.·This approach allows the experimenters to concentrate on their experiments and not the flight operation systems needed to track and recovery the payloads. The optimal hitchhiker would utilize the Propeller where unused cogs, code space, and power are made available to participants from the flight computer.·A Propeller based application is not required to be eligible for the program and any PIC based micro controller or un-powered experiment is encouraged to participate.
·
High altitude unmanned ballooning is a fun, challenging, and learning activity that can provide valuable insights into our planet.·Upper atmospheric conditions are extremely hostile with temperatures at -60 degrees Fahrenheit and no breathable air.·Payloads can reach speeds of over 100 mph and travel with the prevailing upper winds.·Flight durations are typically over 2 hours and landing sites vary with the terrain.
·
The Hitchhiker Program is open to individuals, schools, and organizations that wish to conduct upper atmospheric experiments without the expense of developing their own balloon launching, tracking, and recovery system for small lightweight payloads.
·
Visit http://www.hapb.net to learn more about the program.· The Hitchhiker Program Guide provides a complete description of the program, qualifications, and provided resources.· After reviewing the guide, if you have any questions please send an email to earl@hapb.net.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
WWW.HAPB.NET

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs - ask yourself what makes you come alive, and then go do it." - H.T.Whitman

Comments

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-21 19:33
    Very neat idea Earl. I have dreamed of doing a high altititude ballon launch myself. Maybe I will have to create my computer and sensor board and send it along as a hitchhiker on one of your launches before doing my own.

Are you going to use the Propeller as a flight computer on your launches? Maybe you have already, I need to read through your site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com