Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop plug is listed as unknown device. — Parallax Forums

Prop plug is listed as unknown device.

yllawwallyyllawwally Posts: 23
edited 2008-08-21 19:25 in Propeller 1
I just got my prop plug and demo board. When I connect the prop plug, I get an unknown device in the device manager. I've tried reinstalling the software. Does the prop plug need to be connected to the demo board in order for a comX to appear in the device manager? I've tried with and without it connected. I get the lights on the plug, when I first plug it in. If I try to use the propeller software it says it can't find a propeller connected. I'm running on Windows XP.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-21 16:06
    You need to install the Parallax/FTDI drivers for it before the first time you plug it in. Otherwise, Windows will install the wrong drivers.

It doesn't need to be plugged into the Demo Board to be recognized.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • yllawwallyyllawwally Posts: 23
    edited 2008-08-21 17:02
    I had installed the Propeller tool, a month before I ordered the propeller. Doesn't the prop tool software install the drivers for you. However in the device driver it lists it as an unknown device and says "No drivers are installed for this device. "
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-21 17:22
    Download a fresh copy of the FTDI driver from their website (or Parallax's) and install it (without the PropPlug being plugged in). Then try again.

Windows XP can be very flakey about I/O drivers. Sometimes it seems like you've done everything properly, yet a new device won't work. The only recourse is to uninstall it and reinstall the driver.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-21 17:28
    Doesn't the prop tool software install the drivers for you.

Yes, so long as the box is checked when it asks you if you want to. Do you have any other Parallax products, besides the Prop Plug, that use a USB interface? If so, do they work okay? Have you tried more than one USB port? Do you have another computer that you could try this on? Have you tried reinstalling just the drivers, available here?

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-08-21 18:52
    I reinstalled from the link. Now I get device not recognized, but it says it's using USB Serial Converter by FTDI, in the device manager. It then shows device cannot start(code 10).
    edited 2008-08-21 19:25
    Ok, it seems like I took a step back. I removed the plug, and reinserted it, now it no longer lists a driver. When I try to install one, it tells me that the specified location does not contain information about your hardware.