Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New to the Chip - need advice on learning the chip — Parallax Forums

New to the Chip - need advice on learning the chip

tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
edited 2008-08-21 16:47 in Propeller 1
Hello
I have a project that will grow beyond the Basic Stamp and I want to move to the propeller.· What suggestions does anyone have for what download documents to start learning spin and getting familar with the chip. What is the best "learning board".· Thanks in advance.

Jim G.

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-21 15:30
    There are three very good "learning" boards. If you've worked with the Stamp, then
    it sounds like you are used to solderless breadboards.

Here's good recommendations:

PEKit - (Breadboard with many "getting started" parts)
    There are "Labs" written specifically for this setup.

Demoboard (Small Breadboard with Video/Audio/Keyboard/Mouse, etc)

Professional Developement Board (Breadboard with the works!)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,162
    edited 2008-08-21 15:49
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2008-08-21 16:47
    Your article on the graphics demo was a HUGE help to me on figuring out what was going on. I spent a whole day writing graphics onto the screen pointers before I read your page.

The demoboard is a good starter. I recommend picking up the demoboard starter kit ($99), and you get a copy of the propeller manual to come with it. The propeller manual is probably the best way to start 'from scratch'. You can also download the propeller manual here. The professional board is pricey, but nice. Another option is SpinStudio.

Welcome to the Propeller! I've found SPIN to be everything that's best about OOP without too much baggage. Pay special attention to the counters - as they can do some really cool / useful stuff. There's an app note for them and a lab, too. RISC assembly is a bit of a pain, but the straightforward memory architecture helps to soften the blow.

The forums are full of experts, but you probably won't need to ask too many questions. Take a look at the stickies, you'll see your question has already been answered. Phil Pi's Tricks & Traps is useful. DeSilva's Assembly tutorial is great, but the translation is a bit rough. I found Potatohead's a little more useful.

Let us know how it's coming & don't forget to share anything cool that you come up with. Good Luck!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Concentrate on understanding the problem, not applying the tool