Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
choosing the right stamp? — Parallax Forums

choosing the right stamp?

LubbyLubby Posts: 2
edited 2008-08-24 01:21 in Propeller 1
I am new to the world of stamp and need some help choosing the right system for my project.

The project will be incorporating three actuator motors which run across a linear rail.
A DPDT switch is mounted to the motor assembly which sends them back and forth.

I am looking to have the first actuator motor go back and forth 20 times across the rail and then stop. A second motor then runs the same track (back and forth) once. This cycle of 20 to 1 repeats 15 times.

Once every 15 cycles these two motors both stop, and a third motor then runs once across, before motor 1 and 2 start there cycle again.

is short: [noparse][[/noparse]motor 1 and 2 (20x:1x) x 15 times and the motor 3 (1x) ] then everything repeats.

I was going to put in microswitches and a counters mounted to the rail assembly to keep track of the number of times each motor has gone.

Is there a STAMP that can count the 3 motors (input?) and tell them how many times each should go m(output?) If i can use stamp for this, what kind should i be looking at - and what type of software would i need to program it?

thanks for any advice and for all your contributions to the forum.

Lubby

Comments

• Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-08-20 11:56
    Lubby: Please post your question in the BASIC Stamp forum. This forum is for the Propeller Chip.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"I have always wished that my computer would be as easy to use as my telephone.· My wish has come true.· I no longer know how to use my telephone."

- Bjarne Stroustrup
  • AleksAleks Posts: 52
    edited 2008-08-20 13:02
    Lubby
    I am a strong supporter of the Spin Stamp myself, and whereas your question is here in the Propeller forum I will go ahead and address it. If you want a powerful microcontroller in the Stamp packaging, my advice is to pick up the Spin Stamp. It will take a little bit longer to become acquainted with the language, but once you do everything becomes a possibility. As for the software, all you need is the Propeller Tool, available for free download from parallax.com. If you are more comfortable with C++, you can shell out about $100 for the compiler. The stamp will run you about $50, and the Prop Clip runs about $30. You can download the Propeller manual for free, but if you want a hardcopy that will cost another $35. This is the setup I'm currently using, and it works perfectly for the integration of an absolute encoder, Faulhaber motor, MMBE motor controller, and serial eeprom for driving and tuning a band-pass filter. Other people have successfully used it to drive monitors, TV's, audio, accept inputs from mice and keyboards, and a multitude of other projects. While it may be overpowered for your application, it has the most bang for the buck. And ironically, it is the cheapest stamp module available (with the exception of the most basic BS2 stamp, which from my experience doesn't have enough power to run complex programs, and is instead better suited as a hobby stamp). Try posting your question in the Basic Stamp and Javelin Stamp forums as well, just to see what advice you get.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ~Some men see things as they are and ask "why?"
    I dream of things that never were and ask "why not?"~
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-20 13:56
    Any of the Stamps can do this sort of thing. I suggest you download the "What's a Microcontroller?" tutorial (under Stamps in Class Downloads) and the Stamp Basic Syntax and Reference Manual (under Basic Stamp Documentation) here: www.parallax.com/Support/Downloads/tabid/477/Default.aspx. Also download the Nuts and Volts Column #6 here: www.parallax.com/Resources/NutsVoltsColumns/tabid/272/Default.aspx.

The tutorial has examples of how to connect switches to a Stamp. You will probably want to use a relay to control the motors and, depending on the current drain of the relay coil, you may either control the relay directly from the Stamp or use the Stamp to turn on a switching transistor that drives the relay. The same tutorial should have an example of this. If not, the Nuts and Volts article does.
  • LubbyLubby Posts: 2
    edited 2008-08-24 01:21
    thanks for the input - i hadn't realized i was posting this in propeller - i will check out the tutorials.