Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help setting up the propeller board with prop plug - sooo close — Parallax Forums

help setting up the propeller board with prop plug - sooo close

savakisavaki Posts: 1
edited 2008-08-20 21:47 in Propeller 1
I've been using the propeller development board for a while and have wanted to switch to using the 40pin propeller. I used the diagram on

www.parallax.com/tabid/254/Default.aspx

to help set up the board, but there still something wrong. When I connect the prop plug to the board and try to load a program into ram, I get a no propeller found message. Here's a picture of my breadboard with the propeller chip inside. The voltage regulator and timing crystal are the ones from the parallax site listed under the propeller chip. The eeprom I got from digikey, but it's the right part number.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong?

gallery.me.com/savaki#100008/DSC00483&bgcolor=black

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thankee

M

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-08-20 20:30
    I have discovered your problem, your connections on the left hand side of the Propeller (Vss, BOEn, RESn, and Vdd) are shifted down by one pin (IOW you are supplying your Vdd to P8, not Vdd as you intended). Move the wires up one position and it should start working for you.

Also on the right hand side you need to move the crystal up one position as well as providing power to Vss and Vdd on that side as well.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-20 20:46
    Good idea posting the pictures, but I don't see anything that immediately jumps out at me as wrong. Do you have a volt meter to check the voltage output from the regulator?

Opps - Paul beat me to it.· I see he found your problem.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-08-20 21:47
    savaki,

This was posted a while back and might be useful too. Lots easier that counting pins!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney