Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Inputing serial data from a basic stamp into a notepad file. — Parallax Forums

Inputing serial data from a basic stamp into a notepad file.

dodgerdodger Posts: 37
edited 2008-08-29 00:53 in BASIC Stamp
Anyone have some suggestions on sending serial data from a basic stamp into a notepad file.

Thanks

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-20 04:10
    Use some kind of terminal emulator like HyperTerm. They all have "capture" modes where they copy their input to a text file which you can import into Notepad. I don't have any specific alternative names for Windows since I use the MacOS and programs like MacWise and ZTerm.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-20 06:14
    You can also copy and paste from the DEBUG window.

-Phil
  • dodgerdodger Posts: 37
    edited 2008-08-20 15:38
    Mike,

Thanks for the reply.· I have a question on the terminal emulators.· Would these programs automatically send the data to a notepad file, or would·I have to manually cut and paste?· I downloaded· PuTTy·and am unable to achieve·what·I want. I have not tried Hyper term becuase its not installed on my·PC and I ·have net found a free version.· Do you have any other suggestions?·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-20 16:22
    I used to have an old Windows 3.1 terminal emulator and it had a "capture" file menu item as do the MacOS terminal emulators I now use. When you enabled that, it would ask you for a file name and everything received after that point would go into the designated file until you disabled it.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-20 17:09
    You can also use Parallax's free PLX DAQ software to import Stamp output directly into Excel. From there, if you need the data in Notepad instead, you're just a copy and paste or "save-as-a-text file" away.

-Phil
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2008-08-20 17:59
    Try Teraterm Pro, its' free and has some logging features.

sourceforge.jp/projects/ttssh2/files/
  • DufferDuffer Posts: 374
    edited 2008-08-20 18:26
    Docklight, free version at: http://www.docklight.de/·, is an excellent terminal program and has extensive logging capabilities (will save to .txt and .htm files).

Steve
  • whirlymarkwhirlymark Posts: 10
    edited 2008-08-29 00:53
    There is an open source language based on Java but much easier to program call processing freely available at www.processing.org . This site has examples of reading serial data from microcontrollers like BS2 and arduino and then saving them as txt files.