Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Questions about Protoboard CPU Pins. — Parallax Forums

Questions about Protoboard CPU Pins.

MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
edited 2008-08-20 22:42 in Propeller 1
Hello Again. I have a silly question for you.· The pins on the chip are numbered 1-11,12-22,23-33 and 34-44 on the schematic. Now, a lot of other schematics tell you to hook certain things to certain pins. But, if you will look, pin 9,10 and 11 are really P8,P9,P10.· So when they ask to hook it to P9, I will assume they mean pin 10. This is a little bit confusing. But, am I correct?· We are supposed to hook it to whatever it says on the chip, not on the board next to it. Am I right?

I get the headers I ordered on Wed. and I am trying to dot all of the the I's and cross all of the T's and understand enough to finish building my Proe-bot and hopefully get it to do some things. I am going to put in the Propeller code first and try it and see what it does. I do not have an LCD monitor. But, the PiNG I have and the motors I have and I plan to put Mysixthtest into action.· Do I need to remove all of the mLCD codes first?· This will actually be my 2nd test as all I have done so far is run the scroll demo. But, it worked fine. When I get my headers I will wire everything up, I hope and WED at this time I will either be crying or shouting for joy!

Any comments to help me on my way would be apreciated.

Thanks,

·

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-20 01:54
    Is it possible that you are seeing "pin 1" (physical pin on the chip) and it's designation of "P0"
    Most of us go by the designated names, P0,P1,P2, etc.

This images shows both..
    www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Images/PropHardwareConnection.gif

Does this help, or clear as mud?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-08-20 02:12
    I see where the image shows both. But, which pin do I hook to. The reason I picked P ... is because most of the schematics show p8,p7,P9..... etc.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-08-20 03:26
    Use the designations printed on the board. About the code... I am not completely sure, because I've never used the lcd code, but in general you will want to comment out display codes if you aren't using that particular display...

Before you do anything take a look at the labs for the education kit... They are an example of the highest form of technical instruction... every minute you spend on the labs will save you an hour of bumping around in the dark. To make sure you are hooking up to the right pin you can test your understanding with an LED (I don't bother with any resistors because I have a lifetime supply on hand and if you just make contact for a moment the LEDs seem to survive the abuse[noparse]:)[/noparse] The labs go over everything you really need to know to get way past "Go." The LED test is discussed in detail in the lab instructions, basically your code is

Pub doIhavetherightpin
    dira[noparse][[/noparse]putyoursuspectpinnumberhere]:=1
    outa[noparse][[/noparse]putyoursuspectpindesignationhere]:=1

indentation is important... if you have the pins right... the led lights up. It's a real "hello world" moment.

Good hacking.

Rich
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-08-20 16:18
    thank you guys.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-20 16:31
    I think it would be helpful, and less confusing to novice users, if we used the the Propeller's native nomenclature for these port pins, i.e. A0 - A31, rather than P0 - P31. The Prop II will also have a B port, so we might as well get used to the proper naming convention now.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-20 20:41
    Good point Phil. Port A or Port B is the proper term. When I work on code or documentation from here on out I will try and use the port A or B documentation. What docs from Parallax should be updated.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-08-20 20:59
    Phil,
    A0-A31 was used in the original board, as you may have noticed on the Rev A board you receieved when you attended the VIC training back in Feb '06. There was the conscience decision to change it to P, but I was still a customer when the decision made, and I don't remember the reason I was told when I asked (vaguely remember it being confused with Address or something like that).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-20 22:42
    Yeah, I can maybe see some confusion with address lines — even though there aren't any corresponding "data" lines. (Now, there'd be a weird processor! smile.gif ) I guess there's always the PIC/SX-style notation: RA0 - RA31, leaving room for RB0-RB31 on the Prop II. It makes silkscreen nomenclature a tighter fit, though.

I only suggested a shift away from the "P" notation, since this isn't the first time "Port x" has been confused with "Pin x" in the forum. Consistency with the corresponding register names (INA, OUTA, DIRA) would also be a plus.

-Phil

Addendum: Now that I think about it PA0 - PA31 would be better than RA0 - RA31. On the PIC/SX, the in and out ports are the same register; hence the "R" notation. In the Propeller, that's not the case, so "PA" for "Port A" would be better. (I still favor just A0 - A31, though.)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 8/20/2008 10:51:31 PM GMT