Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BattleZ0wned (VGA Version 1.2) — Parallax Forums

BattleZ0wned (VGA Version 1.2)

RossHRossH Posts: 5,436
edited 2008-08-23 14:55 in Propeller 1
Hi all,

Here is a version of Michael Park's "BattleZ0wned" that I have modified to use my VGA driver - see the "SpaceWar! (VGA version)" thread for a description of that driver.

Update: Version 1.2 has fixed a minor rendering bug, and also reclaimed a bit more RAM - enough to make it quite rare for the graphics driver to run out of bitmap space.

The source is enclosed, as well as 4 eeprom versions:

640x480x4 : 4 colour mode (two versions - one uses only shades of green, and the other is multicoloured)
800x600x2 : 2 colour mode
1024x768x2 : 2 colour mode

I find this game really needs the 4 colour mode - the 2 color modes don't give a good enough "3D" feel.

Very occasionally when the screen gets very busy (e.g. if a complex shape like the other tank fills a significant portion of it) then you may see parts of the display disappear momentarily. This is because the VGA driver runs out of virtual bitmap. This doesn't affect the gameplay.

As I only have one Hydra I have not been able to test the multi-player networked mode - but I have not modified this part of the code, so it should still work (the versions in this post are all "solo" versions - see the next post for a network version). If anyone can try it and let me know I'd appreciate it.

Ross.

Post Edited (RossH) : 8/23/2008 7:28:48 AM GMT

Comments

• RossHRossH Posts: 5,436
    edited 2008-08-19 08:58
    The networked option of BattleZ0wned is a compile time option. The eeprom versions in the post above are all solo versions (in case you are not familiar with BattleZ0wned, in the solo version you can control the other tank by holding down the start button on the gamepad while pressing the other buttons).

I have attached a networked version running in 640x480 4 colour mode.

Updated: now version 1.2

Ross.

Post Edited (RossH) : 8/23/2008 7:29:18 AM GMT
    edited 2008-08-23 03:31
    All,

New version of BZ uploaded - see above.

The only significant change is a fix to a minor rendering bug that sometimes made lines disappear as you got close to an object (in addition to the normal clipping that occurs at the top and bottom).

Ross.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-08-23 05:10
    Hey, you put the w back [noparse]:)[/noparse]

At some point I'll hook up a Hydra to a VGA monitor and check out your work.

Then I'll hook up my other Hydra to another VGA monitor and try it out networked.

But don't hold your breath; things move slowly here.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Michael Park

PS, BTW, and FYI:
    To search the forum, use search.parallax.com (do not use the Search button).
    Check out the Propeller Wiki: propeller.wikispaces.com/
    edited 2008-08-23 07:33
    Michael,

All w's restored (I think!) - removing them was not intentional, just sloppy typing.

Thanks for a really nice implementation of BZ.

Ross.
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-08-23 14:55
    Ross,

Thanks for the compliment!

The w is no biggie at all. I probably should never have put it in there in the first place, but the "0wned" bit amuses me (and probably only me).

Also, I didn't want to use the real name because the original was for one player and I had no interest in writing enemy AI.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Michael Park

PS, BTW, and FYI:
    To search the forum, use search.parallax.com (do not use the Search button).
    Check out the Propeller Wiki: propeller.wikispaces.com/