Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
WANTED: Dummy's Guide to Data Storage — Parallax Forums

WANTED: Dummy's Guide to Data Storage

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2008-08-18 14:28 in Propeller 1
Ladies and Gentlemen,
First, my usual disclaimer here: I'm a mechanical type who has been drawn mothlike to the brilliance of Propeller's flaming possibilities. I know diddly about things in the world of computers and such, but I have been making progress thanks, in part, to this exquisite forum. I am using the Propeller to monitor various sensors and I hope to provide those sensors plenty of storage space across which they might spread their angelic wings and record their holy data.
Big problem is, I don't have any idea how storage devices work with bytes and words and formats and such. When I see comments concerning sectors and clusters and blocks, I'm clueless - if not catatonic. So would some members here please suggest where to begin to acquire the deep wisdom of this kind of high speed electronic secretary-alism? For example, someday I would love to hook up my Propeller to things like SD cards, thumbdrives, terabyte external hard drives, or other such miracles of the modern age... but where to start?

thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-18 14:04
    The Wikipedia has a lot of articles on basic concepts of all sorts. Generally search the internet for the term you want plus "wiki". For example, try "wiki storage block" and follow the links in the short blurb that comes up.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-18 14:28
    A beginners guide to SD is on my list... Might be a while, gotta finish this book..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS