Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Asus EEE PC - Linux — Parallax Forums

Asus EEE PC - Linux

FaabFaab Posts: 1
edited 2008-09-26 21:10 in Learn with BlocklyProp
G'day All!

Just have a quick question, i am a absolute beginner at this, just ordered a board of education USB, to take my hobby to the next level.
I also want to get a mini laptop like a Asus Eee pc which runs on Linux... now my question, does all the software also run on an Linux system or do i need to get a windows version...

Best Regards,

Faab

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
WORLD + US = MAGIC

Comments

• WileyHunterWileyHunter Posts: 2
    edited 2008-09-26 21:10
    Personal opinion... I'm going a similar route...

I got the Eee 701 in a WinXP format. I am in the process of installing Ubuntu Linux onto a HD/SD chip to boot from alternately. I have just a few uses for WinXP in general, but have found that the stripped down version that comes on Eee is suitable for my needs (GPS, and future Robot control?) and it's easier (and legal) to "dual boot" with Linux from an HD/SD. There is a guy I work with that bought the Linux version and is now kicking himself because he's having trouble getting XP on as an alternate OS.

I also upgraded the memory onboard to 2 GB. The Xandros version won't recognize over 1GB but WinXP does.

Are you planning on using the Eee for control and programming purposes or integrated into your project as part of it's "brain"?

Good luck, and keep us posted.