Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
i want to try to roll my own.. — Parallax Forums

i want to try to roll my own..

NR1XNR1X Posts: 111
edited 2008-08-21 22:25 in BASIC Stamp
I would like to try to roll my own basic stamp 2 useing oem components.. finding the components is a piece of cake.. the trouble is i want to make my own pcb, and cant find any pcb layouts... could use software to design my own but not too good at it and the software is hard to learn.. is there some type of template available that would be similar to the oem bs2?

Comments

• KMyersKMyers Posts: 433
    edited 2008-08-17 21:56
    Hi!!

Why dont you try www.expresspcb.com
    There software is documented and there is a How To in Nuts and Volts a couple months ago.

Good luck!

Ken
  • pgamblinpgamblin Posts: 8
    edited 2008-08-18 03:18
    Lots of folks have been down this path, myself included. I gonna make a·suggestion.
    Get the BS2 OEM board and build it for a programming bed. Then find the schematic somebody posted here for the· "bare bones" BS2. That will allow you to dispense with the programming interface simplify your artwork a bit.

·
  • NR1XNR1X Posts: 111
    edited 2008-08-18 09:44
    search for "bare bones bs2" turns up nothin'.. this sounds like a great referance.. anyone remember the post??
    edited 2008-08-18 18:55
    thanks , i guess it just makes more sense to buy the oem kit and put it together.. then ill just make a sip connection to my board.. guess ill draw the traces by hand for my board unless i can get way beter with the pcb express software..
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-20 21:38
    As a note, the PCB layouts (Gerber format) for the OEM board are available from our website. There’s no reason you can’t create a PCB from that. The link Steve mentioned includes reductions in parts cost at the expense of a standard RS-232 serial connection, however USB is easily implemented as shown in one of the examples.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2008-08-20 23:51
    thanx chris , i found the gerber files and down loaded a free viewer.. looking at the files i realized that this is a 2 sided board.. way over my head right now.. i did order the oem kit cause i love to build kits and the stamp has become a very important part of life here in my ham shack.. maybe someday my skill level will be to where i can confidently etch my own 2 sided board , but for now you folks at parallax can be sure that i will continue to purchace and build the oem bs2 kit.. thanks again and thanks to parallax for the bs2 and all the other fine micro controllers you have produced..
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-21 22:25
    It’s beyond the scope of what I can get into here and now, but often boards like the BS2 OEM can be converted to single sided if laid out properly. You may just need to allow for a few jumpers here and there to get some signals where they need to be. Can’t hurt to experiment with programs like ExpressPCB to see what you come up with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering