Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Ping and the elements. — Parallax Forums

Ping and the elements.

TJHJTJHJ Posts: 243
edited 2008-08-21 05:02 in Propeller 1
So I started to think about this and I’ve got to be over thinking it. Is there a good way to encase/ protect a ping or other ultrasonic range sensor from the outdoor elements? I can’t image rain/ snow ect would treat these things very well, but I can’t seem to think of a material to cover/ protect it with that ultrasonic could travel through.
The issue is I need the arc created by the ultrasonic (area versus range) . I just looking to see if there is something/ anything in the way about 6 feet. ·So laser is out of the question. Maybe another range finding device?
·
Any thoughts or ideas?

Comments

• ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-08-17 19:47
    Don't a lot of outdoor lighting systems use ultrasonic triggers? What sort of plastic is it that covers those sensors?
  • Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
    edited 2008-08-18 17:11
    The speakers on the ping module are not directional.· Some speakers like those in·a depth fider are designed to project sound in a specific direction the ping speakers are just tweeters.· A very easy way to protect the speakers is to stretch cling wrap over them.· The loss is very small but this will protect the speakers from weather damage.· Obviously don't allow direct sunlight on them for any length of time.· take a simple Radio Shack project box and make the appropriate holes for the speakers and after putting the cling wrap on with a zip tie, feed them through the holes and caulk away!· I did this with an outdoor proximity sensor and it still works after a year+.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·- Was it pin 11 or 26?· Hmmm....··I think the smell of smoke tells the whole story.· Must be 26.

Michael King
    Application Engineer
    R&D
    Digital Technology Group
  • Sniper KingSniper King Posts: 221
    edited 2008-08-18 17:16
    Oh yeah, the parallax PIR sensor can be protected the same way except you don't need any cling wrap.· Just make the hole big enough for the dome and caulk away!

·I have been experimenting with the PIR sensor minus the dome and add a reflecting telescope with no glass lenses.· This works great and the range is over 100m.· I protect the optics with large format film (Kodak style)· exposed to light directly and then developed.· I place this over the end of the scope and it allows heat frequency of light through without too much lose in energy or diffaction of light.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·- Was it pin 11 or 26?· Hmmm....··I think the smell of smoke tells the whole story.· Must be 26.

Michael King
    Application Engineer
    R&D
    Digital Technology Group
  • TJHJTJHJ Posts: 243
    edited 2008-08-21 00:02
    Hadn’t thought about using the PIR sensor, why I’ll never know. Good Idea.

Edit.... Any way to see a staic object like a wall using the PIR sensor? That would encompass its entire field of vision?
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-08-21 03:38
    Or, as an alternative you will be able to use our new Ping))) H20, designed for moist environments. It uses the same kind of metal transducers you will find in car bumpers and it operates up to 1 meter (requires some high voltage circuitry). This product has been in design since May and it should make it to market around January 2009. I know. . . it's a long time! It's got a conformal coating and pre-installed wires, too, but looks similar to the Ping))).

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2008-08-21 04:04
    That's great news, Ken.
    Do you have any idea if it can withstand subfreezing temperatures?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It might be the Information Age but the Eon of Ignorance has yet to end.
    edited 2008-08-21 04:33
    @ElectricAye:

We won't know that until we characterize the part. I really couldn't say for certain because I don't know what kind of physics issues could be introduced. I'm sure that ice freezing on the transducer would change the response characteristics, for example. Perhaps it will run fine in dry & cold, but not in any humidity.

We'll only know when we start to test our samples (pretty soon!).

Ken Gracey
  • TJHJTJHJ Posts: 243
    edited 2008-08-21 04:37
    Sign me up for one.
    Or if you need a tester, Ive got some abuse up my sleeve.
    Ive got to be buying enough stuff to get in on some prototyping. :P *Need less projects*

Thanks for the heads up, Ill be waiting if not, it would be ideal for the application.

TJ
    edited 2008-08-21 05:02
    TJHJ: send me an offline e-mail at kgracey@parallax.com and I'll get you a beta unit within a week or two.

Ken Gracey