Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
help with making a selfmoving toy car — Parallax Forums

help with making a selfmoving toy car

monkeyseahmonkeyseah Posts: 1
edited 2008-08-16 05:16 in BASIC Stamp
hi everyone,
i need to make a toy car that can move forward, make turns and come back to the starting point.
But i have no idea how and where to start. I have no electrical or circuit board knowledge, can anyone help me with that?

Any suggestion or links that can be useful?
Thanks you.

Comments

• Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-16 04:17
    The Parallax BOE-Bot would be an excellent platform from which to learn the basics. I would also recommend the text Robotics with the Boe-Bot Text v2.2, which contains helpful experiments to guide your learning. Eventually you may want to add the BOE-Bot Digital Encoder to keep track of where you've been, so you can return to the starting point.

Once you've mastered the BOE-Bot, you will feel more empowered to design something from scratch.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 8/16/2008 5:42:12 AM GMT
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-16 05:16
    Look in the completed projects forum for different BOE-BOT variations (mine: "Swiftsure BS2e Robot"). The sumo bot is also an option, however the BOE-BOT is a more versatile machine.

Besides encoders, you could use a dead reckoning system to get back to where you were. However, this is very heavy on the math side. Might I ask what you background is? I'm assuming that it's not electronics.

Whatever your background is, there is a wealth of information available to you for any skill level.