Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Sound modulated plasma Prop — Parallax Forums

Sound modulated plasma Prop

AnubisbotAnubisbot Posts: 112
edited 2008-08-15 19:11 in Propeller 1
Hi folks, i have a litle project in mind what i want to build.

It involves
a plasma generator 20KV
a propeller chip
and some sound modulation

Here is where i need some hints form others,
i have my plasma generator and arc running.
The arc is about 1/8 inch and steady. The Flyback transformer runs on 12V input for now.
I want to use the propeller to generate sound and mybe later play some music.

I want to modulate the sound by altering the 12V supply voltage, what would be the best way to do that.
A mosfet drive with some sort of pre amp.

So does some one has a simple idea of how tho get my audio signal modulated onto the 12 volt??

If this works out , i will make some quality PCB and offer them for all forum members for a few $
Best regards Anubisbot

Comments

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-08-14 19:16
    Anubisbot,

Cool idea! I have built a plasma speaker myself, using tubes. Fun stuff! And GREAT sound quality. If you were using tubes I might be able to help, but I don't know the best way to do this in silllycon.

I have a way that would work with an xfrmr, but you wanted solid state.

Can you give us more details, such as how what kind of coil config are you using for the plasma generation, are you using a feedback loop or just using a set frequecny to drive the flyback? What freq?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-08-15 08:43
    Anubisbot said...
    So does some one has a simple idea of how tho get my audio signal modulated onto the 12 volt??

Use Pulse Width Modulation at the operating frequency of the flyback transformer,
    which must be ultrasonic, and usually is, at around 15 or 31 Khz.

I'll leave it to someone else to explain how to amplify Propeller PWM output to switch 12v power into an inductive load.
    (Although I might try an optocoupler and a 2N3055 power transistor first, but I don't know how well that would work.)
  • AnubisbotAnubisbot Posts: 112
    edited 2008-08-15 18:50
    Hi, and thanx, for some replay hop.gif
    Mhh my little flyback is running @18 kHz and is self oscillating.
    So it should be a good frequency above hearing. I thought about using a fiber optic connection and
    a power transistor like virand suggested.

Or does any body else have an idea??
    The flyback is from ramsey Plasma generator and is quite save , i still live and got sapped a few times, but on purpose jumpin.gif

Here are some pics i have made today, while playing with that thing. I have build a small jacobs ladder, the instructions from ramsey work good, but after i have grounded
    My water bottle HV ground to the real ground it was even more impressive.

I also made a ION motor, it run nice ,and with ground near by it gives a nice light show.

Best regards
    Anubisbot
    1280 x 960 - 486K
    1280 x 960 - 501K
    1280 x 960 - 419K
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 1,023
    edited 2008-08-15 19:11
    Anubisbot,

Well, you can try this. Get an audio output xfrmr. Connect the low resistance side to +12V and the plasma gen power side. Then, connect the other side to ground and the audio input. I use this method to modulate a laser power supply to transmit sound over the laser beam.

BTW, most plasma speakers use a much higher freq. than 18kHz. But if you can't hear it, I guess it wil be fine.

Jonathan

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.madlabs.info - Home of the Hydrogen Fuel Cell Robot