Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
REBOOT and RESn — Parallax Forums

REBOOT and RESn

hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
edited 2008-08-14 19:57 in Propeller 1
With BOEn tied to 0V, RESn is an I/O, used to reset the Propeller and presumably to indicate to attached hardware that an internal reset has occurred, such as when REBOOT is executed in Spin and when the Clock Mode bit7 is set - is that correct in both cases ?

When a REBOOT etc is executed, how long is RESn pulsed low for ?

I don't have a scope so cannot measure it.

Also in the Propeller Manual for REBOOT ( Page 292 ) - "All the same hardware-based, power-up / reset delays, as well as the boot-up processes, are applied as if the Propeller had been reset via the RESn pin or a power cycle" ...

As the power-up delay is separate to the reset delay, what's the actual REBOOT delay time ? It's powered-up to be able to execute REBOOT so does it cause a power-up delay ? And what is the actual power-up delay ? It could be 100ms, 10ms, or none depending upon where one reads its description.

Maybe some kind soul with a scope could run a test program and see what the rate of resets / re-boots are ...

PUB Main
reboot

Comments

• PavelPavel Posts: 43
    edited 2008-08-14 17:41
    It does not appear that the RES pin is taken down as a result of reboot command. I only have a 1MB logical analyzer, so maybe it happens faster.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-08-14 17:45
    cry.gif

Many thanks for checking.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-14 18:20
    I don't see it on an analog scope either.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-08-14 19:31
    Not looking good.

RESn is described as I/O, and the datasheet says, "Brown Out Enable (active low). If low, RESn becomes a weak output (delivering VDD through 5 k &#8486[noparse];)[/noparse] for monitoring purposes but can still be driven low to cause reset" - Not sure what can be monitored from RESn if not internal reset.
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2008-08-14 19:57
    maybe it RESn goes low when a brown out occurs?

my 10 bits,
    Marty

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Lunch cures all problems! have you had lunch?