Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller and sending data on the internet — Parallax Forums

Propeller and sending data on the internet

grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
edited 2008-08-16 07:46 in Propeller 1
Has any one figured out a way to send small bits of data to a computer through a inter net connection. Say I wanted to hook up my propeller to my router and send data to my website. Is this possible? How do i go about it? Do i need to use a communications IC of some kind?

Any help is always loved!

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-14 03:26
    Search for ybox2 in the forums. That should lead you on a path to Propeller-internet enlightenment.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-08-14 05:53
    Just write up a TV Typewriter with a serial io and connect it to a dialup modem (with a max232 chip) and then dial up on
    sdf.lonestar.org

edit:that ybox2 looks mighty cool!

Post Edited (VIRAND) : 8/14/2008 7:06:26 AM GMT
    456 x 300 - 63K
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-15 00:12
    You could also look in to the WIZnet modules. A few of us on here have them and have experimented with them. I need to pull mine out again and do some more coding with it. A WIZnet module contians there W5100 IC which handles most of the ethernet "stuff" while the Propeller exchanges data in registers with it via an SPI or an 8/16 bit interface.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-15 00:32
    Got a driver Timothy? WIZ811MJ @ $16 is cheap and the form-factor is a little more "attractive" than the Olimex ENC60J28.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-08-15 05:30
    look up Harrisons's posts on the forum. he's the one who built the TCP/IP stack or what ever it's called for the prop. he has UDP messaging capability, a Prop hosting a web page. and much more.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • grasshoppergrasshopper Posts: 438
    edited 2008-08-15 14:08
    Oh nice thanks. Ill have been looking up all the info and it looks promising
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-16 07:46
    Jazzed -

I have some UDP code that I believe it posted in the forum somewhere. I got distracted right after I made it ping and never came back to it. I was using the W5100 in SPI mode. In time I want to get the newer module that has the 0.1" headers instead of the 2mm headers. Too many projects, too little time.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com