Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Can I format an SD CARD Fat32 instead of Fat16 and it work with the Propeller? — Parallax Forums

Can I format an SD CARD Fat32 instead of Fat16 and it work with the Propeller?

MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
edited 2008-08-18 16:56 in Propeller 1
Got my SD socket and board from Sparkfun. I tried to format an SD4Gig card in Fat16, but it would only let me do fat32 on my computer. Will the propeller work with FAT32?
smile.gif·

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-14 02:13
    Today's SD card code only supports FAT16. You need to format your SD card for FAT16 .... When you only get 2GB formatted on that 4GB card, don't feel bad I made the same mistake (so I bought another 2G card for projects and use the 4G card for personal portable storage).

BTW: Did you have any luck with that BOE-BOT Propeller code? I suppose you would post in the other thread if no luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-08-14 02:54
    I actually haven't soldered the socket on yet. I am waiting for some headers that I ordered from parallax. They should be here next week. I am running windows xp and it dosn't let me format in fat16. Maybe I will try it on the mac.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-14 03:01
    I've had no problem using the following command under XP to obtain a compatible format.

format X: /fs:fat /a:32768

Be warned that this might render the card useless to some digital cameras
    Still working on why this happens and how to reverse the effect.
    (Bought the spouse a replacement card...)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-14 03:23
    Open Explorer, insert SD card, right-click on the new disk-drive icon that appears for the SD card, click format, choose FAT16 and quick format. You should get in the habit of using "Safely Remove Hardware" in the task bar before removing the card (little green diagnonal arrow on a grey chip) otherwise your SD card might get corrupted.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2008-08-14 04:49
    I bought a $7 1GB microSD card with an SD card adapter. That way I can solder the adapter to the board. But then I remembered I have a scrap camera with an SD socket so am going to use that. So there are plenty of cheap options for you. smile.gif
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-08-14 04:51
    OBC said...
    Be warned that this might render the card useless to some digital cameras
    Still working on why this happens and how to reverse the effect.
    (Bought the spouse a replacement card...)

I know exactly why, but it is so unbelievable I will not bother explaining it. It's too late anyway.
    Instead I will present you with similar unbelievable information that has been exposed and mostly 'dealt with':
    Around 2003-2005, Sony intentionally sold CD's and other media products with computer viruses on them.
    (FYI, Search for "sony rootkit".) Hint: The Viruses are EVIL , but the media will not work "right" without them.

Post Edited (VIRAND) : 8/14/2008 5:02:57 AM GMT
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-14 18:11
    You probably want to use 64K sectors with:

format X: /fs:fat /a:65536

or

format X: /fs:fat /a:64K

(not sure which is the appropriate syntax, or if by chance both will work.)

-tom
  • Jay KickliterJay Kickliter Posts: 446
    edited 2008-08-18 13:15
    Can one of these USB/SD cards be used?
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-18 16:56
    Sure, but you'll have to use the SD side rather than the USB side to interface with the prop.