Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stepping Motor HELP ! — Parallax Forums

Stepping Motor HELP !

kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
edited 2008-09-10 21:30 in BASIC Stamp
Hi All,

·· I should start by saying I am new to stepping motors. I picked up these stepping motor and have attached the PDF for them. My question is there is 6 wires coming out of the motor, but only 4 are attached to the connector. It seems the 2 commons are not attach to anything and wrapped under the insulation. Can someone explain this to me please?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
When you spend 10 times what it cost to build it yourself - That's when it becomes a HOBBY !

···································································

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-08-13 20:34
    what wires do you have? the pdf you linked has six wires for the motor and four wires for an encoder.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2008-08-13 20:38
    ·· The encoder is seperate and I m not using it at this time. The wires are Black, Yellow, Green, Red, White and Blue. The Yellow and White are not connected just hidden under the Heat Shrink.

Ken

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When you spend 10 times what it cost to build it yourself - That's when it becomes a HOBBY !

edited 2008-08-13 21:41
    My question then boils down to using the ULN2803. Do I only need the Black/Green adn Red/Blue connected to the ULN2803? Can I leave the YELLOW AND WHITE Not connected?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2008-08-13 21:52
    It's easer to use if you get to the yellow and white. Those are the common's for the 4 phase coils. You can drive each coil with a single transistor. If you try to use just the other four you will get into H bridges and reversing polarity on the coils. That's a big first step (no pun intended).
    Jim-
    edited 2008-08-13 21:54
    I can get to the commons, do they just goto·Common on the ULN2803 and the Black, Green, Red and Blue goto 4 Out Lines?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (kenwtn) : 8/13/2008 10:16:01 PM GMT
    edited 2008-08-13 22:23
    It looks like the ULN2803 grounds connection when provided a signal. SO, the way to handle it is attach the Yellow/White leads to your motor power supply (+) lead.
    Then hook up each of the other lines to the 'outputs' on the ULN2803. When you provide a signal to the ULN2803 input pin, it will switch ON the associated phase coil by grounding it.
    Beware - until you get this part all straigntened out, I'd suggest using a seperate power supply for the stepper and the stamp. Back EMF's on steppers can really mess with your life.
    edited 2008-08-13 22:25
    Sounds good... THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-08-13 22:30
    Let us know how it works.
    Cheers
    Jim-
    edited 2008-08-13 23:24
    Hi Again,

·· I made the connections as suggested and I have attached the code I am using. Now all I get is the stepping motor gittering back and forth. Any IDEAS

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-08-14 00:37
    Read up a bit on steppers so you can understand the sequence you need to make the motor rotate. If your are driving it correctly then you may have a problem with not having enough power to "set" the coils. I'm not a stepper wiz so this is just general thoughts.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2008-08-14 00:45
    Thanks, I was thinking the samething so kind of on the right track.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-09-10 21:30
    How goes it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    A wise man told me; "All electronics are made to work by magic smoke.

Don't ever let it out as it's·very difficult·to get it back in."