Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Reality Hits Home — Parallax Forums

Reality Hits Home

MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
edited 2008-08-13 16:48 in Propeller 1
This whole process is like an Atichoke. Layers and Layers. The more I read, the more I find out I do not know. When I asked for help on a Basic Program, I did not mean: Beginner's All Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code. You guys thought I was asking for a program written in basic. I do not care if it is written in SPIN, FemtoBasic, ASM or whatever. What I was trying to ask for was a "SIMPLE" Program that would run the BoeBot for not bumping into things and do something instead of just sitting there. A long time ago, I wrote code in Basic and DbaseII language. I enjoyed programming. But, the way I learned was to start with a program that was already written and tear it apart and analyze it and then change it and see what happens, etc. This was a painstaking process. But it did work. I saw videos of the boebot rolling around looking with it's ping accessories and not going off of the table. It did not bump into things but saw them and went around them. I call this Ameoba locamotion like a one cell animal. Ok, are you with me so far? I was going to order the complete kit, but it was out of stock. So I simply ordered the boebot base kit and I found out that the propeller has 8 cores. I wanted to do a lot of things, so I simply ordered the protoboard. I asked the tech support people to tell me all that I would need to get started. I figured that I would add a sensor here and there and an attachment here and there and I would add code as was needed to do the job until I had a very smart and intelligent robot with abilities to remember and learn from it's mistakes and even generalize. I could not wait to get started. Now, I can't find the BASIC (remember that I mean SIMPLE) code to just simply navigate and use the ping system for seeing. I was told that there are over 90,000 boebots out there. SOMEONE MUST have the code. But what I have now is a torn apart robot being able to feed it only one object at a time for testing.

I realize now, instead of taking hours or days, this may take me several more years!!!! I am depressed. Sorry. :-(

I want to thank you guys. You have been very supportive. But, I feel so ignorant about this subject. I am a computer technician, but I do not know EVERYTHING about Engineering. It is frustrating. But, I am NOT going to give up. I will get this sucker working if it is the last thing I do. I was just expecting for it to take a short period of time.

I think Parallax is a Great company with wonderful people. Sorry to be so word dy.

Comments