Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Homemade RCA Audio/Video Connection with Old DVD Player for Monitor — Parallax Forums

Homemade RCA Audio/Video Connection with Old DVD Player for Monitor

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2008-08-19 00:13 in Propeller 1
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to show some pics of a homemade RCA Audio/Video Connection I made to use with my PEKit. I used info from OBC's Propeller Cookbook and the pdf for the RCA to Breadboard Adapter. The RCA board was one I scavengeed from an old VCR and I made a set of pins to stand in up in the·far left ground bus. Video is tied (through resistors) to the standard pins -·12, 13 and 14. Audio is tied (through·capicitors and resistors) to pins 10 and 11.

I attached them to a broken DVD player. I have a 12 volt·power supply and the display and speakers work great. So all the parts and display are junk I had in my junk box.

I have tested the Graphic_ Demo, TV_Text_Demo, the SingingDemo and the SingingDemoSeven from the library in the Propeller Tool. They work great!

Now that it is working and tested, I may consider tight-wiring it, so it takes up less space. I'm really enjoying playing with Labs and learning my way around the Prop.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 8/12/2008 7:33:21 PM GMT
640 x 480 - 187K
640 x 480 - 215K
640 x 480 - 228K

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-12 01:09
    Nice!! Awesome reclamation of VCR parts!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2008-08-12 01:22
    Thanks OBC! I really owe the quick start to you. Your info just gave some really fun and easy project to get me up and running. I after I get the hardware set up. I can use the library programs and see what they are doing and how. It really helps speed up the learning.

I added a pic of the old DVD Player to my post above so everybody can see what it looks like too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • scanlimescanlime Posts: 106
    edited 2008-08-12 02:09
    Hah, I thought I was the only one using a portable DVD player as a monitor for the Prop. Neat.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-12 02:14
    I do it too Micah [noparse]:)[/noparse] It's at least dual-purpose and helps justify the cost [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-12 02:17
    Portable DVD units make great prop screens... I've got one here as well..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-08-12 20:28
    I don't understand, most DVD players I've seen don't have video IN. So how do you get to make them work as a monitor?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko
    edited 2008-08-12 21:09
    Some of the small DVDs do have video and audio in. It allows you to play from another source.

An example, I have two in the car, one for each child, they both decide to watch the same movie. You hook up the cables and one unit is player and monitor, the other is just a monitor. There is is switch on mine that moves you from input to output on the video and audio jacks. If you start looking at the units, many have this feature.

There are also many units that feature a single DVD unit with cables to two monitors. I have a couple of those too, but they require an S video set-up. I know that this can be done too - I just haven't tried it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

edited 2008-08-18 23:10
    Just scored a 9" portable DVD player with a broken mech.
    Shipped total was less than $10. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Need a cheap screen. Search Ebay for "portable dvd player parts"
    Just take care that it does power up and has an AV-in option.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-19 00:13
    Very cool OBC! Hope you enjoy it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+