Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Help, Please — Parallax Forums

Help, Please

MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
edited 2008-08-13 16:26 in Propeller 1
So far , I have run the femtobasic program and the scroll demo spin program on the proto board. But, however I try, I cannot get the keyboard, mouse and monitor to hookup and run directly. I need to be able to do this. Your help would really be invited. Thanks for the help in the past.

Comments

• jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-11 23:53
    There are a few demo programs that come with the Propeller Tool. You should be able to find VGA_Text_Demo.spin and Keyboard_Demo.spin in the examples directory if you use Menu->File->Open From. There are other VGA* demos as well. There is no Mouse_Demo.spin, but if you look in the library directory, you should find Mouse.spin. All of these are of course in the Object Exchange linked on the Parallax Propeller page.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-08-11 23:58
    thanks. I have tried most of these programs but it doesn't seem to work. I will continue to search.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-12 00:10
    Any chance you could give us some details on your mouse/keyboard/screen setup?

Did you add the VGA keyboard/mouse kit from Parallax?

Have you taken a look at the Propeller Cookbook? (below)

If you can take a snapshot, even better..

At this point, it sounds like you have moved from Propterminal to direct connections?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
    edited 2008-08-12 00:13
    If you have a Propeller Protoboard which should have a 5MHz crystal and (properly soldered the accessory kit), the VGA_Text_demo.spin should work out of the box.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,685
    edited 2008-08-12 00:17
    If the "PC_Keyboard_Demo.spin" and "PC_Mouse_Demo.spin" examples, which comes with PropTerminal, works with the PC-Keyboard and PC-Mouse, than you can simply replace the Objects in the OBJ section with "Mouse" and "Keyboard" (instead of "PC_Mouse", "PC_Keyboard") to test the PS2 Devices.
    You can also replace "PC_Text" by "TV_Text" or "VGA_Text" to test the Display drivers.
    So you can test step by step what works, and what not.

Andy
    edited 2008-08-12 01:05
    So, how would you concatenate the objects together? just cut and past them in order?
    edited 2008-08-12 01:08
    The demo worked. I have a protoboard with a boebot kit. I have an SD socket that will be here in a few days. I want to start off with the basic obsticle avoidance program and add to it 'til he can't take anymore stuff. Any help on exactly which program to use there will get my wife off my case about the robot not doing anything.

I really want to thank you guys for your input. This is a GREAT forum.
    edited 2008-08-12 01:14
    I downloaded scores of objects and such and manuals. I don't know how I miss the cookbook! I am going to read it. It may shine some light on the subject.

I have:

protoboard
    Ping unit
    Boebot Kit
    soundpal kit
    Ping bracket
    two extra regular servo motors.

I am using a VGA CRT monitor , ps2 keyboard, and mouse off of my workbench. (I am a computer Technician).
    edited 2008-08-12 01:15
    Oh, I had another question, sorry. How high can I go with this crystal. I have a 5mhz. Can I go to a 30 ,25 , or 20mhz crystal???
    edited 2008-08-12 01:50
    Sorry to ask so many questions. But, it seems that one answer leads to many more questions. From reading the Prop cookbook, the question arose: am I going to need 2 male and 2 female headers, and a servo I/O card in order to build my boebot with this board? Also, I have the line following pack. I don't want to follow a line. I would like to put two in front and two in the back to see if it is running off of a table or something, to sense wether or not it is going to fall and stop.

Please accept my thanks for any help given and all help given so far.
    edited 2008-08-12 02:10
    So many questions [noparse]:)[/noparse]· As you learn more the questions become better and should be fewer later; this is a learning curve. Also patience is a virtue, not casualties in the emergency room.

The Propeller Tool concatenates the objects for you. All you have to do is include them using the OBJ section syntax. Your 5MHz crystal is fine, you just need to make sure that the clock is set approriately by your .spin "top" file. In your case · _clkmode·= xtal1 + pll16x·· and· _xinfreq·= 5_000_000 ... other values will make your devices fail to properly function. For servos you should have 3x4 pin headers for connections and some soldering ability to connect that to some Propeller pins. After connecting your Ping and servos you should be set to do some basic movement and obstacle avoidance (save the cliff detection for later).

Ariba's advice for taking small steps is worth quite a bit.

Good luck.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-12 02:24
    Do I need to put resistors in series with the signals to clamp the amps or volts?

Thank You gentlemen for you kindness!
    edited 2008-08-12 02:31
    Resistors are necessary only on signals being received by the Propeller. Values can vary and will be defined mostly by the speed requirement of the signal; 1Kohm would provide sufficient protection and fair transition time. I have 220 ohm resistors on a project where transition (hi-low or low-hi change) time must be super fast ... it's been running that way for 6 months with no problems.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-08-12 02:33
    There are quite few options for Crystals but it is probably best to start with 5MHz. More info on the Propeller Wiki ....

propeller.wikispaces.com/Oscillator

Avoid over-clocking at this stage, no matter how appealing it may look. It is best to get things working using 'approved clock speeds' then if something doesn't work you know it's not the over-clocking which is causing problems.
    edited 2008-08-12 04:02
    Roger that~!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-12 04:27
    For FemtoBasic, make sure you're using the compiled version for the Protoboard. There are 3 different versions, one for the I/O pin connections and crystal frequency used with the Demo Board, one for the Hydra, and one for the Protoboard with the Accessory Kit (to provide the VGA and Keyboard connectors).
    edited 2008-08-12 13:43
    You guys are so Great! But, I can tell I have a long way to go.
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-13 15:52
    MovieMaker,

In the future please try to use a more descriptive subject line than Help Please. If you need to edit your message please use the pencil icon located at the top-right of the message.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2008-08-13 16:26
    To Chris:

Yes Sir! Will do. Thanks for pointing this out.smile.gif