Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Helitronix mixer uses Propeller — Parallax Forums

Helitronix mixer uses Propeller

simonlsimonl Posts: 866
edited 2008-08-27 03:28 in Propeller 1
Just discovered that the Helitronix Multi-Mixer uses the Propeller - YAY!

Of course, none of us will be surprised that it replaces two PICs in the old version smilewinkgrin.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Cheers,

Simon
www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif

Comments

• Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-08-12 05:57
    Do you have one of these Simon? I don't understand the full assembly as it is shown in the pictures.

It is neat to see the Propeller used in products.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-08-12 08:38
    I wish I did have one - although I'd prefer to get some time with my own Prop' so I can do it myself smile.gif

Even after two years I still get a satisfying smile when I see a Prop' in a product with hardly any external components (oh yes).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
    edited 2008-08-12 08:41
    I wonder where the EEPROM and Crystal are - under the Prop DIP? On the back side?

I like see how simple a project can be with the Propeller. I was intrigued that the previous version had two PICs. TWO! Must be some serious processing happening in that product. I bet the designers are relieved to have a product like the Propeller.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Joel RosenzweigJoel Rosenzweig Posts: 52
    edited 2008-08-26 04:58
    Somebody said...
    Just discovered that the Helitronix Multi-Mixer uses the Propeller - YAY!
    Somebody said...
    I wonder where the EEPROM and Crystal are - under the Prop DIP? On the back side?
    Somebody said...
    I was intrigued that the previous version had two PICs. TWO! Must be some serious processing happening in that product. I bet the designers are relieved to have a product like the Propeller.

While I don't advertise it on my website as such, I do show a photo of the unpacked mixer so anyone could see what it is. I like showing the electronic components on the items I make. When I sell them, they are wrapped in black heat shrink.

The EEPROM and Crystal are on the back side of the Prop DIP. I was trying to keep the board size down, and I was sticking with the DIP because it's easy for me to solder to by hand. I haven't made the transition to surface mounted parts yet, so putting some parts on the back was a good alternative given the board real-estate I was using.

The original version used two PIC16F877 processors and worked well. One PIC was dedicated to asynchronous signal input, and the other was dedicated to the geometry calculations and servo output. A decoupling of the input acquisition from the output stage was natural because I didn't want the timing of the input signals to have any impact to the timing logic that was generating the output. Those timing glitches can be felt on the output side when using sensitive digital servos. Having an interrupt handler on the input side that can starve the output side at the wrong time isn't ideal. So the two CPU approach was what I opted for to give me the level of isolation I was comfortable with.

The Prop is a perfect fit for my application. I'm able to make a no compromises piece of hardware to solve my computing problem. I get to dedicate an entire cog to each of the signal inputs, and this gives me perfect signal acquisition. And there is no contention for computing resources or timers to generate the output waveforms. The Prop provides a fantastic platform for this type of work. When I saw the ad-copy for the Prop when it first came out, I knew I had to make the transition to this part.

So in my case, it's not so much a situation where I needed a lot of MIPS, but I did need the logical separation afforded by multiple cores. I'm one of those guys who'd go for more cogs than RAM on a Prop II any day. The magic of the Prop is all in the parallel execution.

Joel-
    edited 2008-08-26 09:00
    Hey Joel, nice of you to stop by smile.gif

The reasons you gave are the exact same ones that lead me to the Prop too - I have a heli project (well, I would have if I could find the time!) and was researching the use of PICs and ProtonBASIC, but those pesky interrupts kept getting in my way! Why people keep hankering after interrupts on the Prop I'll never know LOL.

Nice product BTW - might end-up buying it one day, but only if I get nowhere with my own first!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2008-08-26 13:16
    Hi Simon,

It's certainly a good exercise to try and build your own. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you'll derive satisfaction from designing and building it yourself, then you should certainly go for it!

Joel-
    edited 2008-08-26 13:26
    @Joel: Satisfaction and being able to 'tweak' to my own requirements are what drive me on this. I'm gonna start with data-logging, then attempt flight stabilisation. I'll then go for automated hover. After that (big assumption that I'll achieve those steps!) I'd like to add way-point manoeuvres.

Any tips you can share on CCPM & stabilisation (without affecting your product sales!) would be most welcome...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    edited 2008-08-26 14:53
    Joel -

Thank you for sharing why and how you used the Prop. Your product and application of it looks great!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-08-27 03:28
    Somebody said...
    Any tips you can share on CCPM & stabilisation (without affecting your product sales!) would be most welcome...

What sort of specific questions do you have? I can point you in the right direction, but it's a large topic, so if you can narrow down what you'd like to know, I can take a shot at helping you out.

Joel-