Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
RS232 tu USB problem NO BASICS STAMPS FOUND — Parallax Forums

RS232 tu USB problem NO BASICS STAMPS FOUND

PixelmanPixelman Posts: 4
edited 2008-08-12 01:54 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,
Im trying to write on my BS Homework Board but I cannot acces to it.
When I go to RUN/Identify I get Yes in both Loopback and Echo.
When I go to RUN/RUN I get the error message "NO BASICS STAMPS FOUND."

Im using a RS232 to USB cable on Windows Vista. I already turn of the FIFO BUffer in my computer. (control panel/system/device manager/ports(COM & LTP)/prolific USB-to-Serial Bridge properties)

PLEASE HELP ME!

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-08-09 15:09
    If both Loopback and Echo are working, then the port is probably working right.

Typically this is a power problem on the homework board -- is your battery new?
  • Bill ChennaultBill Chennault Posts: 1,198
    edited 2008-08-09 15:27
    Pixelman--

What allanlane5 said. My BOE and eb500 (or eb501) will drain a brand new 9 volt battery very quickly. Additionally, XP SP2 and the Stamp IDE seem to become cross with one another after a time and the only thing that will make them friends again is a reboot. Typical Windows procedure, in other words.

Gee. Vista? I have no clue, but I would certainly make sure the power supply is good and reboot the box whenever the IDE begins acting the least bit weird.

Good luck!

--Bill

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    You are what you write.
  • PixelmanPixelman Posts: 4
    edited 2008-08-11 18:36
    Bill Chennault said...
    Pixelman--

What allanlane5 said. My BOE and eb500 (or eb501) will drain a brand new 9 volt battery very quickly. Additionally, XP SP2 and the Stamp IDE seem to become cross with one another after a time and the only thing that will make them friends again is a reboot. Typical Windows procedure, in other words.

Gee. Vista? I have no clue, but I would certainly make sure the power supply is good and reboot the box whenever the IDE begins acting the least bit weird.

Good luck!

--Bill

I replace the battery for a new one (you are right, the battery I was using drained out very quickly), however I still have the same problem with a brand new battery.

Thank you for your reply!
    edited 2008-08-11 18:47
    What have you added to your "homework" board? If you've connected Vdd to Vss (or Vin to Vss) accidentally, that would do this also.
    edited 2008-08-11 19:24
    allanlane5 said...
    What have you added to your "homework" board? If you've connected Vdd to Vss (or Vin to Vss) accidentally, that would do this also.

I haven't add anything yet. Im using this code to test connectivity

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}
    DEBUG "Test A BS MICROCONTROLLER"
    END
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-11 20:05
    Prolific Adapter or it's drivers may be the issue. This is not a model we have tested to work with our products. Do you have access to a PC with a Serial Port on-board?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
    edited 2008-08-11 20:15
    Chris Savage (Parallax) said...
    Prolific Adapter or it's drivers may be the issue. This is not a model we have tested to work with our products. Do you have access to a PC with a Serial Port on-board?

Unfortunately I don't have access to a computer with Serial port on board.
    edited 2008-08-12 01:54
    Not all USB to Serial adapters work to program a BS2. The problem is, the USB to Serial vendors don't properly implement the 'hand-shake' signals. The BS2 IDE uses "DTR" to 'reset' the BS2 for programming, and the timing there is pretty tight. A poor (or no) implementation of the DTR line (like on "PDA adapters") means the adapter can't be used to program the BS2.

Parallax does sell a very reasonable USB to serial adapter guaranteed to work.