Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp Editor Question — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp Editor Question

tweek.3867tweek.3867 Posts: 7
edited 2008-08-08 21:21 in BASIC Stamp
So I'm currently working on a project where I am trying to automatically update the basic stamp with new information, periodically, from information that is also automatically created. The idea is simply that we want to create a completely autonomous system, so that the stamp will be updated automatically, without any human interaction. I was hoping that someone could possibly suggest something as we're running into a bit of a roadblock when it comes to sending new information to the stamp without someone there pushing run.

As far we can tell, we need some kind of a command line application where we can go and tokenize and run the application outside of the stamp editor. I noticed there is a linux program listed on Parallax's website, but we were unsuccessful in getting it to properly function- it appears one of the files was giving us trouble [noparse][[/noparse]tokenize.so]. If anyone has any ideas about finding a new program that will let us tokenize and send new info via the command line, or simply to get the linux stamp program running, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-08-08 21:21
    Well, you're using a lot of euphemisms here.

1. "update the stamp with new information" -- you could mean re-load an entirely new program, or you could mean just send a few bytes to the BS2 that the BS2 then stores in its EEPROM until the next update. The first one is very difficult, the second one is easy.

2. "information that is automatically created" -- you could mean there's a program running on a PC which is "getting information" from somewhere. Actually, this one is so vague I don't know WHAT you mean by it. I'll assume the first interpretation is true.

3. "updated automatically without any human interaction" -- of course, depending on what you mean by "automatically" (some program has to "decide").

One scenario which MIGHT address what your asking is to have a program running on the BS2 which every so often sends out a SEROUT to an attached PC in effect saying "You got any data for me?". This could be as simple as sending a "?". A program running on the attached PC monitors the serial port, and if it DOES have any new information replies with the data -- or if it doesn't have anything new, replies with a ".", or simply stays silent.

That way, the program on the PC wouldn't HAVE to be running all the time, it could run only when there's data, then wait for the BS2 to give it a "?" to send the data.

That scenario is pretty straightforward to implement.

Reprogramming the BS2 "on-the-fly" is pretty awkward.