Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Question about my BS2 communicating with my computer??? — Parallax Forums

Question about my BS2 communicating with my computer???

PhillipsintechPhillipsintech Posts: 4
edited 2008-08-08 17:32 in BASIC Stamp
I am working on a project that requires a certain sound to play when a certain button is pushed. The sounds are stored on my computer. How do I access the sound files with the stamp and play them in a program?····please help
Thank Youcool.gif

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-08 14:35
    The computer will have to do the playing of the sound. The Stamp can make simple tones, but can't play sound files. There are simple and inexpensive external devices (the Vinculum VMusic2 for example) that can play MP3 files recorded on a USB memory stick and can be controlled by a Stamp.

The Stamp can send serial information to the PC (like what's done with the DEBUG statement) and you'd need a program on the PC that listens on a serial port and plays a sound file.
  • PhillipsintechPhillipsintech Posts: 4
    edited 2008-08-08 14:48
    Thank you Mike
    I will look into the Vinculum VMusic2. this sounds like what I need.
    I will post my progress
    edited 2008-08-08 14:52
    Parallax's USB Memory Stick Datalogger uses the same controller chip as in the VMusic2, so sample code for the Datalogger will also work with the VMusic2. The music play commands work the same way as the file access commands on the Datalogger, so you'd only need to make small modifications to the sample code to be able to play files.

As is true for most Parallax products, the web store page for any given product will have links to sample code and documentation for the product.
    edited 2008-08-08 17:01
    So can I use the parallax Datalogger instead of the VMusic2??? I will have to look some info up about the datalogger i dont know much about it.
    edited 2008-08-08 17:08
    The Datalogger does not have the MP3 decoder. The VMusic2 has different firmware that adds the MP3 playback commands, but is upward compatible with the firmware used in the other Vinculum-based devices including the Datalogger.
    edited 2008-08-08 17:32
    Thank you