Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
stepper motor wiring to Little Step-U — Parallax Forums

stepper motor wiring to Little Step-U

PeterRPeterR Posts: 10
edited 2010-02-28 05:36 in BASIC Stamp
I'm trying to correctly wire a stepper motor to the "Unipolar Stepper motor controller". Have retrieved the data sheets from the Parallax site. The motor that is referenced on the data sheet "(#27964)" is this the same motor as the "PM4222-09" which is scribed on the side of the motor I'm working on? The data sheet drawing shows 5 wires coming out of the motor which is the same as the number coming out of PM4222-09 and also has the same wire colors as the "Mitsumi". If these are the same motors my problem comes in terms of wiring the common (red) wire. The "Unipolar Stepper motor controller" data sheet on page 11 appears to show 6 wires , one for "ct BD" and one for "ct AC" originating from the motor. Where does the common wire need to be wired?
Thanks, PeterR

Comments

• IdtatIdtat Posts: 7
    edited 2008-08-08 00:58
    Hi,

CT-AC and CT-BD are tied together with link "LK" on the Little Step-U. I just dug mine out of the dust to play with some steppers i found under some other dust.

The Little Step-U's are great stepper motor controllers.

So........ connect the common to either CT pin. If you need some starter code let me know.

Aaron
  • PeterRPeterR Posts: 10
    edited 2008-08-08 04:40
    thanks for the Help.Peter R
  • PeterRPeterR Posts: 10
    edited 2008-08-14 17:38
    Need some more help on correctly wiring to the little step-u. I wired the "Homework Board" , the "Little Step-U",· stepper motor and power supply like the application example shown on page 11 of the documentation· for "Little Step-U".· I found however, that the programming that I am trying to run to test calls for "P4..P7 outputs" in the "Simple Stepper Motor Demo" programming provided by Parallax.· Also the page 11 schematic shows a wire connection from "VIN" to "VSS" What would that look like with the components listed above?· Have tried to ammend the page 11 wiring to reflect the requirement that P4..P7 be outputs.· Currently, the black, orange, brown, yellow wires are connected to the coil A-D pins on the "Little Step-U" and since the programing has P4-P7 as outputs connected the "serial out" pin on "Little Step-U"· in series with·P4-P7 on the "Homework Board".· Is this correct? Thanks, PeterR
  • RickRobotRickRobot Posts: 1
    edited 2010-01-20 20:10
    PeterR

If your little stepper motor quivers, then you and I have the same issue. I connected my Step Motor PM4222-09 ( purchased from Parallax) to the outputs of a ULN2003A integrated circuit has directed from the Parallax PDF "Unipolar Stepper Motor (#27964)" instruction information. This somatic FrontPage 2 is pretty rough but when connected in this configuration using the supplied basic stamp to application programming demo "code" all I get is a corresponding quivering to the different portions of the code.
    I wonder if there is a difference between the Parallax (PM4222-09) and the (#27964) ???

Rick
  • NWCCTVNWCCTV Posts: 3,629
    edited 2010-02-28 05:36
    Just a thought, but I have found in the past with stepper motors that ALL grounds need to be connected to Stamp ground. Why this makes a difference is beyond me, but I had the jitter issue using various motors/controllers and once I grounded everyhing to the stamp they all worked fine.