Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
$12 computer: why not a Prop? — Parallax Forums

$12 computer: why not a Prop?

Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
edited 2008-08-08 20:08 in Propeller 1
Creating inexpensive computers for third world countries appears
be very hip this year...

news.bostonherald.com/business/technology/general/view/2008_08_04_Designers_on_quest_to_build__12_computer/

Why couldn't the Propeller be used for this?

I may have to see if I can contact these guys..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS

Comments

• Spork FrogSpork Frog Posts: 212
    edited 2008-08-06 00:11
    I think the limiting factor here would be the screen. Sure, you can make a pretty decent Prop setup for $12 mass-produced, but you'd probably be stuck still with TV-out, not quite ideal for web access/some other functions these guys are talking about. But certainly still doable.
  • Luis DigitalLuis Digital Posts: 371
    edited 2008-08-06 01:37
    “We think we can develop a really good educational tool that could give kids exposure to keyboards, typing and mouse usage at an early age,”

Propeller does that and a lot more. Although it has a high price, if we take into account that one must add a memory and two regulators of voltage.
  • waltcwaltc Posts: 158
    edited 2008-08-06 05:45
    Souping up the old Apple II's say with a card with that implements a system on a chip with a 65816 core, all associated glue logic, memory, USB, and internet connectivity might be the way to go.

Why? A very large base of software and it wouldn't be too expensive

Right now the Prop is just taking its first steps as a PC and has a long way to go. Also there are no spreadsheet, word processing, database, or educational programs that run on the Prop which really limits its use.

Slightly OT, I think what is driving this is Negroponte's problem of trying to shoehorn in a ever bloating Linux for his $100 laptop thanks to partnering with Redhat. He also caught a lot of grief from Gates and his stooges. He would have been better off talking to Nikalus Wirth at ETH and asking him to help port Bluebottle(Oberon) to his laptop and going with a ARM cpu.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-08-06 12:50
    It comes down to what exactly is a $12, "stripped down computer-like device" ? How much of that
    is salvaged / re-cycled components ( CPU, M/B, PSU, keyboard, mouse, gamepad ) and how much
    comes in the box, ready to go ?

I've had plenty of $10 PC's which are not stripped-down, nothing 'computer-like', they are real
    computers, USB and internet capable running Linux or Windows !

The goal is admirable enough though. Chip's vision of a Propeller with on-chip development tools
    is probably a step in that direction.
    edited 2008-08-06 13:03
    Also, isn't the $12 computer a reality anyway ? I'm thinking of the C64 DTV, a complete 6502 /
    Commodore 'on a chip' ...

picobay.com/dtv_wiki/index.php?title=Hummer

Take the retail mark-up away from that, add a keyboard, design for the task not for a toy and
    MIT look to be simply re-inventing the wheel.
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-06 14:21
    Could have been, but the terms of the contract were breached, the original designer of the
    DTV chip was never completely paid for her services. The chip will now never be released
    in any fashion outside of the DTV/HUMMER packages which are also no longer produced.

Shame actually..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-06 18:19
    I've sent Derek an invite to drop into the forums and check out the Propeller.

I suspect they are past a point of design decisions, but I wouldn't feel right
    if we didn't share.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-08-06 22:03
    OldBit

Yes, Yes and Yes.

Stop right where you are... find a charity that will order a million of them if you produce them. {Gates, Gates, and Gates).

$12 dollars isn't what it used to be... how about 12 Euros? U guys could do it for 12 Euros[noparse]:)[/noparse]... SD cards will cost extra of course.

Basic works... how does Mike feel about a world computer?

Rich

We all need to start saying nice things about Windows[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-06 22:06
    It was the notion of the "$12 computer" that led me to the propeller in the first place;
    I was looking for a single-chip solution to a full 80's era microcomputer, and the
    propeller was one of the few that could directly drive a TV monitor. That's why I wrote
    femtobasic, and why I wrote the secure digital routines fsrw, in hopes of making a
    color computer or C64 knockoff that I could build in the basement and give away to
    kids, and eventually potentially scale to thousands or tens of thousands of units.

My goal was a literally free box that you could attach a PS/2 keyboard, mouse,
    TV, wall wart, and SD card to that would allow reasonable BASIC programming
    (of the sort that David Ahl wrote books in). I envisioned a book (maybe 50
    pages) introducing the Basic (and maybe some assembly language), along
    with a few hundred community-provided programs on SD card. My target age
    group is 7-15, U.S., especially lower-income.

I ended up not moving forward on it with the Propeller because the 32K RAM was
    insufficient for what I envisioned. I also explored FPGA solutions, and was not
    happy with what I as just a hobbyist could make (single-chip FPGAs with
    sufficient capacity are not cheap, and adding external RAM complicates things
    a fair bit).

Looking at what Derek is proposing, I think an Apple II knockoff makes a lot of
    sense, assuming there are no licensing issues.

I haven't given up on this dream, and if Derek goes forward with this, I look forward
    to seeing it happen and/or contributing. In any case I will probably revisit it when
    the Prop II is out.
    edited 2008-08-06 22:33
    rjo_ said...
    OldBit

We all need to start saying nice things about Windows[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I DO say nice things about Windows... They provide me a good living fixing it.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    (http://www.orrtech.net)

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-06 22:36
    I really loved the Apple II...but it wasn't a Prop.

A Proputer offers developing countries so much in terms of economic growth and homegrown education that I literally see no parallels...

U guys need to get the keyboard down to one wire... and leave the television up to the user. Other than that, the Proputer is already do-able. Making them cheap depends upon the numbers... so U need a big brother to get the ball rolling. I'll volunteer to hand them out[noparse]:)[/noparse]

If you want to call it a computer, it does needs a dash of Basic on an EEProm... but that has been done and I would expect the negotiations to go swimmingly[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Do you guys want to go for the money or should I?

Rich
    edited 2008-08-06 22:56
    I was thinking about this a little more..

A PC keyboard might be able to fit a Propeller chip, a miniSD card, and a couple RCA jacks for
    video/audio. There is no reason in the world that this couldn't be done for 12 Euros..

32K limitation... Bah! That's just a challenge to hurtle over.. keeps everyone sharp!
    But you are right, the PropII should be perfect for this use...

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-06 23:25
    When you are right YOU ARE RIGHT

Do you want to do it and who is willing to help?

I don't want a penny, and I can probably get a commitment in about 2 weeks or less[noparse]:)[/noparse]... of course it won't be in writing and we will absolutely have to have every detail nailed down before we see one red cent... so our spouses and significant others are going to be a little anxious about how we are spending our time[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2008-08-06 23:53
    Hi,
    I got a email on this the other day.
    http://www.multilabs.net/Retro.html

My first thought was that it would have been cheaper to use a proto board and Mike Green's basic .
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-07 00:48
    Right, but remember that femtobasic (which is the basis of Mike Green's basic, although I don't know how much
    original code remains) is an interpreter written in Spin running on a space-optimized interpreter in a cog.
    Thus, femtobasic is actually amazingly slow (interpreters written in interpreters have that limitation).

Retro looks cool but clearly $100 is way more expensive than we want. I was planning to do this as a
    charitable thing, essentially; just eat the costs.

There is a whole lot to be said for being able to tap the existing market of Apple II software, though. Or
    C64 software. Or even Color Computer software.

In the end I was not able to come up with a convincing product based on the Prop I, or any other
    chip for that matter. And doing it with an FPGA looked both laborious and too expensive.

Even the Prop II may be a bit of a stretch; if they lower the voltage it might not directly interface with
    SD or other components without buffering chips, and I really wanted to keep it simple.

I will note that no matter what technology is used, the bulk of the effort would almost surely be on
    the software and documentation end of things, rather than the actual hardware.

So for me this is all still a Quixotic dream.
    edited 2008-08-07 01:49
    Rokicki,

I agree with everything you say... and I'm sure Mike would too[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I've never asked him and I wouldn't do so here and I hope he doesn't... but consider this: isn't it reasonable to assume that someone, who is capable of throwing together a whole slew of variants and knows how to use, and has experience coming out his *** is also capable of either directing or writing something that would be quite a bit faster?

BUT I wouldn't expect him to do it for free.

Same for you[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I still think we need a one wire keyboard.

Rich
    edited 2008-08-07 01:50
    AND for 12 Euros... there is almost enough left over to add another Prop[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-08-07 01:53
    AND we haven't heard from out favorite professor lately... but I'm sure that if we wanted to parse out some work and pay in Euros, he is still around.

Post Edited (rjo_) : 8/7/2008 2:01:56 AM GMT
    edited 2008-08-07 04:20
    It's a NES-on-a-chip, not an Apple clone...

news.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=08/08/06/1925225&from=rss

Nintendo won't be pleased....

Perhaps they might look this direction..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• waltcwaltc Posts: 158
    edited 2008-08-07 04:49
    Its about software not hardware, its cheaper to reuse/upgrade a AppleII or C-64 because of the existing software base which is huge and the only way to stay below the $12 target.

The Prop has no desktop software to speak of, then again it was never marketed as a competitor for Intel, ARM or Freescale. Then again the Prop screams "soft FPGA that does multicore" not desktop CPU to me.

Now the Prop might be a contender if it had a robust DOS, spreadsheet, web browser, word processor and was capable of hosting its own development system(not Spin but a C or Pascal compiler). So any folks here up to writing a prop variant of say CPM or emacs or BDS C, not mention a workable RAM upgrade?
    edited 2008-08-07 13:49
    waitc,

I don't think that it is an "either or" situation. I don't have a problem with the general logic of re-using AppleII or C-64 hardware. I even had a Sinclair... which with a little effort would probably fit the general description.

But the Prop is unique... and it is now. With the Prop you wouldn't be reaching into the past... you would be providing access to the future. The Prop is a desktop controller... which is what I really wanted when I bought my Apple II... but of course at the time, what did I know? I had one class of fortran.

If you were to ask the Government of China... would you prefer your students to learn on antiquated computers with access to the internet... or would you prefer for them to study a platform that both leads to an understanding of micro-processors and advanced controllers... which to you think they would prefer?

How much would it cost to build a desktop computer that does everything that the Prop does?

The Prop is the answer to questions that aren't being asked.

And you have to remember... we are talking about bringing a computroller to people that cannot afford a vial of ink... if someone wants to send them an Apple II, God bless them... Commodore64... even more. But in the end, if you want to give people the skills and tools to work themselves out of poverty... give them modern tools. Let them compete... send them the Propeller.

Rich
    edited 2008-08-07 13:59
    Rich..

In spite of the arguments, I suspect you are preaching to the choir here.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Comon guys.. I'm working this direction as as fast as a I can.. turn.gif
    (Propdos, PropEdit, FemtobasicCOLOR..)

One of my current projects is to figure out how to get my webserver to accept .spin
    source, compile with Propellent, then send back to the Prop.
    Not really an onboard compile, but could be interesting...

Again, just hurtles to jump over, to keep sharp..

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-07 14:06
    I consider every negative opinion as coming from a "devils advocate" with a little d... for those who speak English as a second language, a devils advocate is someone who expresses opinions and facts to stimulate a full discussion. When we have a full discussion the Prop wins every argument...[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Rich

Jeff,

Don't get burned out... that's about the only thing that will scuttle this process[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-08-07 14:56
    It's perhaps worthwhile looking at "TV Computer - The $10 TV Computer Project - International Development Design Summit 2008" which describes in greater details what the goals and aims are ...

design4dev.wetpaint.com/page/TV+Computer?t=anon

There seems some confusion here ( and elsewhere ) about what is being done; re-purposing archaic hardware, designing new hardware, adding software and so on. Reading the "Overview of Approach" it seems to me that the plan is to take existing and actively being sold ( ie, new and current ) platforms already available at $10 and primarily adding software. The chosen platform ( although it appears they have no idea who the manufacturer is ) seems to be -

design4dev.wetpaint.com/page/Problem+Definition

Whether a Propeller or anything else is better would seem to be a moot point; this is what the current business model is that they believe would work.

That said, it doesn't mean that a Propeller wouldn't be better; I'm sure that if someone could show them an equivalent $9 Propeller-based computer which does the same and more they'd be very happy to see it. When it's rolling off the production line it doesn't really matter what hardware they ship if it does the job.

The bottom line seems to be that a Propeller could do the job, but such a product doesn't yet exist, the team is currently moving forward planning to use product which does exist. It does however seem that this is a project still at it's "this is a good idea" stage so open to using whatever hardware is suitable.

There's no reason there couldn't be multiple sub-$10 computer platforms shipping even if this particular team doesn't see the merit in a Propeller-based design or lack of existence at this time, although market fragmentation and incompatibility issues will raise their heads.
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2008-08-07 15:57
    $10 Computer out of a Prop. Done it already[noparse]:)[/noparse] Basic, Editors, Word Processors, Spreadsheets, C compiler, Assembler etc.

Well almost. See my CP/M on Propeller thread. I'm sure we could get the Prop, a 64K RAM and an SD card down to $10 in bulk. Gives all the capability of that Superbrain I used to use in 1984.

Mind you I can't believe many people would want such a thing no matter how poor they were.

What actually is the intended use of this $10 dollar computer ?

Seems to me that when we were busy getting into Commadores, Sinclairs, CP/M etc they were basically almost useless apart from 1) Games 2) Just hacking on out of a fascination with the technology.

Today the killer might be a $10 box that did nothing but Web browsing. People need communications.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
    edited 2008-08-07 16:08
    Hadn't seen your CPM thread in a while.. Did you get CPM apps running?
    I'd love to see Wordstar running on a Propeller. [noparse]:)[/noparse] Better still I've love to see a demo at the Expo.

Communication has to be a big issue, but the reason I saw was learning how to type so that they
    could go from making a $1 a day, to $1hr.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

edited 2008-08-07 16:46
    As far as I can tell the Propeller CP/M is running OK. But I'm sure there must be some subtle bugs in there somewhere.
    The problems with running Wordstar and such are:

1) Not enough memory.

2) Sorting out the terminal control codes for cursor movement etc which I have not even started to look at yet.

3) Could be a bit slow.

As for 1) I will probably add a RAM chip one day unless the Prop II gets here first. But I guess not many people want to follow me in that direction unless I could knock up a cheap and cheerful PCB.

For 2) well, just needs some research on my part or a helping hand from someone familiar with such.

For 3) That's an accurate emulation according to my memories of using CP/M systems for real years ago!

Actually my next CP/M steps were going to be adding simulated 8Mb hard drives in the SD card and then trying to get the thing to pass all the steps of the instruction set test (EX8080.COM) that comes with the SIMH Altair emulator. There are some failures in flag settings coming out that I can't track down. Every other program that fits in the available RAM has worked so far though.

Just now I'm a bit stuck, believe it or not we don't have TV or a VGA monitor (only this lap top) so getting to the "stand alone" stage is snagged and everything depends on I/O through Propterminal.
    Besides my better half, well, she thinks I've lost my mind spending so much time on it[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I can only dream of a demo and the Expo. It's just not ready and besides I'm stuck here in Helsinki. If anyone wants to run with it, feel free.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-07 16:54
    The main purpose seems to be as an educational and advancement tool ...

* math, literacy, and critical thinking skills for basic primary education;
    * preparation for entrance exams into junior high level;
    * preparation for secondary and tertiary level exams;
    * adult literacy and numeracy; and
    * basic job skills, such as typing and accounting.

All those "My First Laptop" and other educational toys Fisher-Price, Hasbro and others produce could all be replicated. Simple spelling, Sesame Street style graphics "A is for Apple, B is for Baseball Bat, C is for CHAINSAW!!!" are all learning aids. I hesitate to mention Speak 'n' Spell because the thought of 200 million third-worlders going around muttering 'seven seven seven' in harmonic counterpoint puts the willies up me smile.gif

The hardware's just the platform. The software is what's really important. With the right platform suitable software can be provided across all age ranges and skill levels and tailored to particular tasks or learning goals.

Such a device won't replace teachers but they are certainly a supplement and allow access to gaining basic skills those of us in the west take for granted.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-07 17:05
    heater said...
    Today the killer might be a $10 box that did nothing but Web browsing. People need communications.
    I agree with this; it's just one of many potentially beneficial tools of course. Unfortunately web-browsers are monsters especially with javascript. Even an ARM with 4MB flash would be too small.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-07 17:39
    Is there any evidence to suggest that filling schools (or homes for that matter) with computers has ever enhanced the education of our children ?

Ever since the introduction of the microprocessor there has been this huge drive to get computers into schools. Remember the BBC computer? I was never convinced that this is at all necessary and could even be harmful. Now a days you don't have to do much Googling to read about the worries over the declining standards in our educational systems from the USA to the UK and I'm sure many other places in the western world that just happen to have been swimming in computers for decades.

Here in Finland they seem to rank as having the highest level of education but from what I can tell from my school teacher friends Maths, for example, is still basically taught with a blackboard an chalk.

Which is not to say that computers should not be in schools. Of course computers and computing/programming should be there as a subject all of it's own. Not to mention having things like the Propeller on hand for those technology and design courses. Looks like Parallax is doing a wonderful job there by the way.

Coincidently I've just been spending hours watching lectures on VLSI design and such coming out of India. www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=D2350A83B752C861 brilliant! All blackboard and chalk. Which brings me back to the $10 web browser....

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔