Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
West Coast Propeller unofficial convention? — Parallax Forums

West Coast Propeller unofficial convention?

Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
edited 2008-08-12 21:35 in Propeller 1
I'm opening this thread up to get an idea of the interest for a West Coast version of the North East convention. Specifically, I'm looking for;

Organizer volunteers

Headcount of interested attendees

Space volunteers

WHEN
January would probably be the earliest possible date. March would be more realistic, but it depends on the volunteer organizer

HOW MUCH
Expect it to cost a small fee ($10) to cover expenses

WHERE
Probably Northern California. If you'd like to come, can you note where you'd be coming from? That would help to have it in the most convenient location.

So - what's the headcount?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Concentrate on understanding the problem, not applying the tool

Comments

• SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-04 22:32
    Really going out on these big projects, huh? Yeah, if there was a Parallax orientated west coast expo I'd go if:

It fit my school schedule
    It included more than Parallax products
    It included both retailers and producers of products
    A wide range of items are there
    vendors are there

I'm in SoCal
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-04 23:23
    Since Parallax is in Rocklin (hint hint), if they hosted an Expo (hint hint), I'm sure that would attract more than just west-coasters. Parallax was at the ESC trade show in San Jose this spring. Perhaps they have a trade-show schedule to post.

I would like to see Bay Area Propeller Special Interest Group that might have periodic meetings. Such a SIG would allow Propeller users to meet on an occasional level with an opportunity for social and professional networking. The SIG would organize an Expo once or twice a year depending on interest. It would also bring perspective retailers together with developers. Finally, it would allow an organizational platform for world domination, er, I mean unofficial marketing of Propeller and other interesting products. Being able to encourage Bay Area retailers to stock more advanced Parallax products would benefit all concerned.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-04 23:42
    It would be nice if more stores stocked Parallax products, not just Bay Area stores. Here in SoCal, there are two (that I know of): Fry's Electronics and Radioshack. Radioshack has a dismal supply of about four Parallax products, and Fry's manages to beat them with about ten products. It would be nice to have a store that stocked at least 3/4 of the Parallax line, and other electronics.
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2008-08-05 00:35
    Ha! I'm not volunteering for anything, just seeing if anyone would be interested. My hands are full [noparse]:)[/noparse] But I'd attend, so I'll count myself in as an attendee.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • KamPuttyKamPutty Posts: 48
    edited 2008-08-05 00:48
    Firstly, if there are any (!) NorCal Prop users, lets get together regardless of anything else...
    Secondly, I would attend an official or not prop get-together.
    Thirdly, There is not thirdly...out of the question
    Fourthly, Hey Parallax, now about an open house at your office for all of us to meet and greet and buy and use and check-out etc...

just my 2 cents

~Kam (^8*
    edited 2008-08-05 04:29
    Kam do you work in the valley or near the beach? I'm in San Jose and Nick is clearly near here. Dinner is pretty much out because of travel I guess. Is lunch some day reasonable?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (jazzed) : 8/5/2008 4:34:46 AM GMT
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-08-05 04:52
    This is good... Hope you guys can pull something together!

Might I suggest UPEWC? heh...

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with a Propeller Protoboard?
    Check out: Introduction to the Proboard & Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-08-05 05:09
    Sure, we'd be happy to host an "official" or "unofficial" Propeller Expo at Parallax. We have the facilities and the right place to conduct such an event. When we announced the Propeller we had a two-day insider seminar that worked very well.

If we hosted a Thursday evening/Friday get-together in November, how many would attend? Would you prefer it be on a Saturday? Doesn't matter to us - we'd just want attendance!

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Ken Gracey (Parallax)) : 8/5/2008 5:52:21 AM GMT
  • waltcwaltc Posts: 158
    edited 2008-08-05 06:46
    Wide range of items and vendors IMO are a must. I'd try to round up every microcontroller vendor and parts house that caters to hobbyists like Sparkfun, Make Magazine and Jameco.

Maybe even get a few of the big semi-houses like Micron and AD to show off their latest goodies.

FWIW
    edited 2008-08-05 06:56
    Weekends...
    edited 2008-08-05 08:09
    I'm in Campbell.

I don't know how big the attendance will be. I don't know if Sparkfun or AD or Make would be interested. Those folks do exhibit at more general interest events, though.

Weekends. Come on, Ken, where would you rather be on a Saturday afternoon? November sounds like a decent timeframe.

So far, we're @ 3 attendees; Jazzed, Kam, me? A maybe on SRLM & Waltc? Have we beat OBC's first day registrant count? [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2008-08-05 15:04
    I would definitely consider traveling down from Seattle for something like this.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Michael Park

PS, BTW, and FYI:
    To search the forum, use search.parallax.com (do not use the Search button).
    Check out the Propeller Wiki: propeller.wikispaces.com/
    edited 2008-08-05 15:45
    I live in Santa Cruz, but work in San Jose...so I am in for anything!

For those in San Jose area, how about a lunch/dinner someday?

November sounds good; weekends would work out

~Kam (^8*
    edited 2008-08-05 16:26
    When I wrote this, 179 people had viewed this thread. Most of them probably couldn't go, but maybe 130 would want to, and probably about 40 would be highly likely. It's not much, but it's a start. I still have a question, though: who is going to put this together. You (Nick) already said that you couldn't, and if Parallax hosted then how many competitors would they let in? Don't get me wrong, I would love to visit Parallax, but convention might be the wrong word if they hosted.
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-05 16:57
    I'm in Palo Alto and am up for almost anything. Perhaps we can start by just doing a
    get-together sometime, somewhere in north San Jose or Santa Clara, and see who
    shows? Maybe just meet for dinner somewhere, take over a pizza joint for a bit.

Note that the Homebrew Robotics Club meets in Mountain View and there are a few
    notable Propeller heads there. They meet two Wednesdays of each month. You can
    find them on the web.

Anything in Rocklin would have to be on the weekend, and I'd need to convince the
    family, but evenings in the Bay Area are no problem.
    edited 2008-08-05 18:09
    Dinner or lunch time is fine for me. There's a Mountain Mikes at Stevens Creek and Lawrence near 280. They have a lunch buffett 11AM-2PM. Any other possibilities?

I can make Rocklin in November with a little planning ... Reno is just a 7000 foot hop away [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-05 19:20
    For those in the San Jose area, can you hookup somewhat after work? Meaning 5-ish etc...I'm thinking that if we do this "after work", there is no time limit, where a lunch meeting there could be for some...said that, I'm open to any!

Mountain Mikes if fine for me...I'm in.

~Kam (^8*
    edited 2008-08-05 20:37
    Well the commute thins-out around 7PM in places ... [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I have plans Thursday/Friday this week, otherwise I'm free.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • scanlimescanlime Posts: 106
    edited 2008-08-05 21:12
    Another bay area propeller user here [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'd definitely be interested in an official/unofficial convention.

--Micah
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2008-08-07 00:48
    I would love to attend either or both events , the one @ parallax and the one in march, I live in Las Vegas so Saturday would be great, and it would be a nice ride up there on my bike that time of year.

Jimmy
  • jammajamma Posts: 33
    edited 2008-08-07 01:17
    Work in SF, live in the People's Republic of Berkeley California, so the Bay Area works for me (and I can make Rocklin an honorary member of the Bay Area for such an event).
  • Brian CarpenterBrian Carpenter Posts: 728
    edited 2008-08-07 01:31
    Ken,
    You set the day and time an i am there. I will help however i can also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

It's Only A Stupid Question If You Have Not Googled It First!!
    edited 2008-08-07 01:49
    People's Republic of Berkley [noparse]:)[/noparse] LOL [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Kam, Nick, Tom and whomever else can make it (jamma, Micha, Brian?), would you like to shoot for a 5PM-ish Mountain Mikes Pizza (Stevens Creek and Larry near 280) early next week (Mon, Tues, Wed)? There's a Thai place Bangkok Spoon near Castro in Mountain View ... close to Caltrans if that enables north-bay commuters. I'm so looking forward to Pizza though.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-12 00:29
    Anyone up for Mountain Mike's tomorrow around 5:00PM ?

Added:·I'll show closer to 5:15PM most likely. I've included a recent picture for my Avatar so anyone can recognize me. If the picture is not enough, I'm 6' tall·have a few extra pounds, and drive a black 2006 E500; most likely will be wearing shorts,·sandals, and a printed Hawaiian style shirt. Call me Steve.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (jazzed) : 8/12/2008 1:46:38 AM GMT
    edited 2008-08-12 01:12
    Sure. It's fine for me. Might be too early for other folks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-08-12 04:38
    I'd love to come but work is insane right now so I'm going to have to wait until the next one.
    edited 2008-08-12 21:10
    Sorry you can't make it Tom. Nick if you make it, you should be able to recognize me from my doofy but recent avatar pic ... that will go away soon [noparse]:)[/noparse]. I'll be bring a few family members to help ease my commute and will be there after 5-ish.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-08-12 21:35
    No prob. I should be there 5:15. I'm the tall white guy who hasn't shaven in a while & needs a haircut.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔