Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic setup questions regarding PINK. — Parallax Forums

Basic setup questions regarding PINK.

foodgodfoodgod Posts: 13
edited 2008-08-04 06:19 in Propeller 1
I was hoping to find an answer to what might be a simple question. I'm trying to connect a pink webserver to a propeller chip. The problem is I cannot communicate with the pink module through the IPSETUP application. When I run the application I don't see any devices to choose from. I can't ping the webserver either. I am using a D-link router and suspect that is the problem. My question is " What should I use in place of the router?" A switch? If so, which brand works? It has also been my experience that routers can be mislabeled switches and vice versa. Is there some other option I can choose? Can anyone help with this problem?

Thanks!

Comments

• DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-08-04 00:26
    Are you using the blue cord or the red? I'd try doing a direct link from your PC to the PINK (for now) and see if you can set it up that way. I would also look at your power supply, does the green light come on? do the network lights blink? even if they do come on I'd make sure you power supply can supply enough amperage, if I remember right the PINK required 220 mA. simplify, test, eliminate the possibilities.

Added: The Red cable is a crossover cable (direct connection) and the blue is a "regular" network cable.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • foodgodfoodgod Posts: 13
    edited 2008-08-04 02:09
    DGSwaner,
    Thanks for the response. As for my set up, I'm using the blue patch cable and connecting that through a switch.The power LED is indicating as are the network connects lights. The network connection lights, however, are not blinking and the switch lights do not indicate that there is a connection. The cable definitely works. In the IPSETUP application, I can't see the computer or the PINK module or any other device. I'm wondering if the firmware was not set on this module.

How is the Pink module connected to the computer? Is the red cable connected directly to the NIC connection or do I need to install a second NIC card: one connecting the computer to the network and the other from PINK to the computer.
    The first option I tried, to no avail. I experienced the same results. The network connection lights didn't even indicate.

Thanks for the help, DGSwaner.
    edited 2008-08-04 04:38
    If your Switch, isn't seeing the PINK then you won't be able to find it in the IPsetup. it's odd that the network lights are on the PINK, but not your switch. connecting the PINK directly to your computer is just a temporary setup to configure/test it. I'd try it. use the red cable, connect it from your existing NIC to your Pink then run IPconfig.

Have you checked the power? I really think this could be an issue even though the lights come on.

have you connect it to a micro controller? you could test to see if the serial communication to the PINK is working.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • foodgodfoodgod Posts: 13
    edited 2008-08-04 04:56
    I got it working! It was a power issue. I was initially siphoning 5v from the micro controller's voltage regulator ( the power and network connection LEDs were both indicating); I reconnected the power supply directly to the PINK (only the power LED was indicating), dropped the power supply down to 5v and attached the patch cable. At that point the network connection LEDs began to indicate. Funny how you can spend hours on a problem that's so simple.

Thanks for the help!
    edited 2008-08-04 06:19
    glad you got it working, the PINK is really fun to use.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

DGSwaner