Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
drag stip chrismas tree controller — Parallax Forums

drag stip chrismas tree controller

jammer_X2jammer_X2 Posts: 3
edited 2008-08-04 00:08 in BASIC Stamp
Newbie here so try to be kind blush.gif. I have been looking for awhile for a means of controlling a drag strip Christmas tree. Nothing elaborate at the moment but I may want to incorporate red light, start, finish and elapsed time at a later date. There isn't much info out there so here I am. There is some commercially available stuff out there but what fun is that. It really looks like a simple 555 circuit may work for me at the moment but a basic stamp may be the way to go in the future. This would go on a 80 foot track to monitor some belt sander racing. Any links, diagrams, suggestions and or comments would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

jeff

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-03 19:00
    Look at the Nuts and Volts Columns on Parallax's website. Go to the main webpage and click on the Resources tab and you'll see a link for the Columns. Column #6 deals with using power transistors to switch large loads like Christmas tree lights. You can also use SSRs (solid state relays) for AC powered lights. The SSRs are treated like LEDs as far as the Stamp is concerned.
  • jammer_X2jammer_X2 Posts: 3
    edited 2008-08-03 19:02
    wow really fast reply. thanks for taking the time.

jeff
  • dredre Posts: 106
    edited 2008-08-03 21:41
    By drag strip "Christmas Tree" I assume you meant the 'traffic light' sequence used at drag strip racing.· If so look into the Nuts & Volts of Basic Stamps column #110 by Jon Williams.

For elasped timing smoke out the forum discussion on using the DS1302 Real Time Chip for this purpose.

Good luck on your build.

David
    ·
  • jammer_X2jammer_X2 Posts: 3
    edited 2008-08-04 00:08
    Thanks again Mike and David. How the heck did I not find this place earlier?????? Started on column # 1 and am reading my way through it all. What a wealth of info. It looks like this will be the beginning of the end of my free time. Been away from electronics for a longgggggg time but this looks fun.

Looks like I will be searching out some parts shortly.

jeff