Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DMX project — Parallax Forums

DMX project

edited 2008-08-03 19:46 in Propeller 1
Hi!
I’m new to both this forum and programming the Propeller. I was just curious what DMX project other users have done. I am working on a thing that read the DMX signal and translates it to another DMX signal after a table, e.g. if channel 8 has the value of 40 it output channel 5 with a value of 77.
Have fun
Magnus

Comments

• Ziggy252Ziggy252 Posts: 32
    edited 2008-08-03 14:36
    Magnus,

Sounds like you you're building a soft-patch. You'll need a lot of memory - to soft-patch an entire universe of DMX you'd need 512 x 512 bytes or 256KB, which is way more memory than you have handy in the current prop. About the biggest you could implement using internal memory would be 180 x 180 (or 128x256), and that would use all your hub memory.

Tim Sweiter wrote some objects to send and receive DMX which you can find in the Object Exchange, he's used them in some interesting LED display stuff.

I've been developing a replacement logic board for a couple of lighting consoles I own, so there's a fair bit of overlap (my scenes code will end up implementing the equivalent of a 100x100 soft patch or so). Not having a hardware multiplier really hurts with this stuff (I figure I'm going to need to do 250000 8x8 multiplications per second). I have a routine floating around somewhere that reads in a long and scales each of its bytes by another byte (effectively an 8x8 and discard the lower byte of the result).

I'm generally not attacking things in a logical order, just wherever I get a bit of inspiration. At the moment I'm working on I/O, but once I've got basic functionality I plan to get back to the bulk multiplier, followed by paging, timed crossfades and chases.

To think that 12 months ago I was trying to do this using a PIC!
  • edited 2008-08-03 19:46
    Yes, of cause! It’s a soft-patcher, I just couldn’t find that name. Thank you for that. smile.gif
    I have Tim’s DMX-objects and hope I will be able to use them for this. In the very first state I just need to patch four 17-channels scanners to 14 channels. I have an old Status Cue lightning desk which you can’t add your own fixtures to. The Status Cue can control Martin RoboScan 1220 CMYR fixture so I want to soft-patch so it's matching my·Martin RoboScan 1220 IIr instead.