Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming BS2 with the PropPlug? — Parallax Forums

Programming BS2 with the PropPlug?

KlazenKlazen Posts: 12
edited 2008-08-05 15:14 in BASIC Stamp
I recently bought a Propeller, and have thought about starting up with the BS2 again as well. However, I only have a laptop now, and it has no serial port. Then I thought, isn't the propplug just a serial-usb connector? If it would work, where do I hook up the wires? I'm guessing RX = Sin and TX = Sout, and vss is the same on both, but what about RES on the propplug? I can;t figure out where that goes. would it be ATN? or is it RST?

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-04 20:37
    The Prop Plug is a USB to Serial Adapter, however it is not USB to RS-232 and the BASIC Stamp Module is expecting an RS-232 signal on its programming pins. The output from the Prop Plug is non-inverted serial whereas the output from the USB to 232 adapter is inverted RS-232 signals. We do have an inexpensive USB to 232 adapter for under $20.00 that uses the same chipset as the Prop Plug. The part number is 28031. I hope this helps. Take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support
  • KlazenKlazen Posts: 12
    edited 2008-08-04 21:55
    Ok, thanks. I'll definitely look into that.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-04 22:10
    Theoretically, you could invert the serial signals' polarity in the PropPlug's USB chip by using FTDI's MProg program. But, if you're going to be working with both the Prop and a BS2, switching back and forth would be a real pain. Parallax's USB to Serial Adapter is a good value for the money and will save you the headaches required to time-share your PropPlug.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2008-08-05 15:14
    In OEM BASIC Stamp applications I used to use the USB2SER for programming but the Prop Plug would work equally as well. So if you were to create an OEM circuit which does not include the transistors used for RS-232 interfacing then you could program your controller using the Prop Plug as well. But on the 24-pin Modules it is easier to just use the standard RS-232 signal, even if from a USB to 232 adapter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Tech Support