Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie having trouble setting up port communication — Parallax Forums

Newbie having trouble setting up port communication

PaolinSFPaolinSF Posts: 2
edited 2008-08-03 02:28 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I just got a HomeWork board and I'm excited about starting on projects! I have it hooked up to a MacBook Duo and I have the Basic software running on Windows XP on Parallels. I bought the USB->serial cable and hooked everything up, but it doesn't recognize the port. I tried the troubleshooting in the manual but haven't been successful. Has anyone set this up on a Macbook under Windows XP?
Thanks in advance for any suggestions!
Paolo

Comments

• ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2008-08-01 02:35
    Which USB-serial adapter? Parallax's? If so, you'll need to install the FTDI driver BEFORE connecting the Homework board to your computer.
  • NauketecNauketec Posts: 51
    edited 2008-08-01 05:56
    I use the mac running XP for basic stamp work and it runs fine - one tip - wait till Parallels is fully booted up then plug the USB cable in - It should post a message that asks if yoou want this device available to XP and you click OK

Try that and see if it works

Daniel
  • PaolinSFPaolinSF Posts: 2
    edited 2008-08-03 01:20
    Thank you both for the quick replies and suggestions, I installed the driver that I downloaded from the link on the parallax.com page of the USB->serial cable that I bought. After the installation it gave the "driver successfully installed" message(in Parallels Windows XP), but it still doesn't seem to recognize the port. WHen I run the BS2 sw and try to "identify" the board in the "device type" field it says "can't open port" and nothing in the other fields.
    When I start the BS2 sw it doesn't recognize any port, even if I enter them manually as COM0 or higher, but the LED light on the USB hub on the cable lights up green when I plug it in.
    I also tried downloading the BS2 sw for Mac and it installed fine, runs, but again doesn't recognize the HomeWork board. Could it be that I have to install a driver for the Mac? If so, could you let me know if and where I can find one?
    Thanks for helping me out and looking forward to your suggestions, best wishes,
    Paolo
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-08-03 02:28
    You still haven't stated definitively that it IS an FTDI USB to serial adapter that you're using.

The driver MUST match the USB adapter -- download it from the VENDOR'S website (not Parallax) if it's anything other than an FTDI adapter.

If you're using a USB hub, it probably should be a POWERED USB hub. The "unpowered" USB hubs don't support full speed USB connections -- I'm not sure this is an issue, however.