Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Tank Track code — Parallax Forums

Tank Track code

tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
edited 2008-08-01 17:09 in BASIC Stamp
HI
I am looking for any existing code or links for running a tank tread robot with a BS2. If there is not any for BS2, what about Propeller?
Eventually plan to run it via radio link with serial communications. I want joy sticks on the transmitter side etc.
Thanks in advance.

Post Edited (tigershark35) : 7/28/2008 6:16:28 PM GMT

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-28 17:18
    1) Please add a subject to your message. You can edit it by going to the message pane and clicking on the "pencil" icon in the upper right of the message box.

2) If you haven't already, download the Robotics with the BoeBot tutorial and the IR Remote for the BoeBot tutorial from Parallax's downloads area. Go to the main Parallax webpage, choose the Resources tab, then click on Downloads, then Stamps in Class Downloads.

3) There's a Propeller-based version of the BoeBot described in the Completed Projects section of the forums. There's also a Basic interpreter (BoeBotBasic) downloadable from the Propeller Object Exchange that can be run over an xBee wireless link. This supports the two wheel servos, a PING))) ultrasonic distance sensor and the servo and bracket that's available for that, an HM55B compass, an IR distance sensor on the PING))) bracket, and the wireless link as mentioned. Here's the thread: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=635533.

4) You would need some kind of controller on the transmitter side to handle the joysticks and you'd need to add some appropriate code on the BoeBot side as well to interpret the joystick information.
  • tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
    edited 2008-07-28 18:16
    Thanks Mike. I have added the subject. Forgot it in my haste to post. I have a couple of BS2 that I want to use and have the code written for Joy Sticks. At least I have them running a tilt pan (not over the radio link) so I think I understand that part. I want to use a dual motor control and just looking to see what code is out without having to develope it all myself.

Jim
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-07-28 22:08
    I posted some of the code I'm working on for a tread based robot at
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=734266
    It also contains a sample of using the IR as a remote and having the robot roam on its own.
    I had a problem with the PC based system in that the eb500 and the camera are both running in the 2.4ghz band and there was some interferance with the devices. The interferance was a problem at the school where I work, as we are using·intellegent whiteboards in every classroom·that also use a bluetooth conection.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-01 16:34
    Are you using the Boe-Bot tank tread kit? I have had trouble with the treads for this setup. I find that they tended to be peeled off when turning on a surface that is not perfectly smooth, such as carpet or even some concrete. This was fixed slightly by adding one of the small wheels in the back above the tread pressing down to increase the tension, but there are still some problems.
  • tigershark35tigershark35 Posts: 60
    edited 2008-08-01 16:40
    Hi, Right now I am using the·ones from Solarbotics. I may consider those from VEX if these do not do what I want.· I have not tried the ones from Parallax.
    ·
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-08-01 17:09
    I tried the Parallax treads but had the same problem of them only working on smooth surfaces. I finally broke down and bought the VEX treads and motors, as these work well on the carpeting in the house.