Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Embedded Blue and RFID Reader — Parallax Forums

Embedded Blue and RFID Reader

sestevesesteve Posts: 6
edited 2008-07-27 14:29 in BASIC Stamp
What would I need to hook up a eb500 and also a Parallax rfid reader?
I would like to send information from the rfid reader to another bluetooth
device.

Does the bs2 only have 1 serin/serout?

Is this possible to do on a bs2?

Thank you,
Steven Skindell

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-27 14:29
    There's no special hookup. The EB500 is made to plug into the AppMod connector on the Board of Education, but that's primarily for convenience. The EB500 can be connected to any two, four, or six I/O pins on the Stamp (serial Tx, serial Rx, RTS, CTS, EB500 status, EB500 mode) plus power (+5-12V and ground). The status and mode connections are optional. The RTS (request to send) and CTS (clear to send) are for serial handshaking and are also optional.

The RFID reader requires two I/O pins, one to turn it on and the other for the serial data.

The BS2 can use any I/O pin for SERIN or SEROUT, but it can only do one operation at a time and there's no buffering. What this means is that the Stamp can only transmit or receive on one I/O pin at any moment, but it can transmit on one I/O pin, then transmit on another I/O pin, then receive some characters on one pin, then receive some on another. By using the RTS and CTS signals, the Stamp can force the EB500 to wait until the Stamp is ready to receive the data that the EB500 may be holding. Similarly, the Stamp can turn on the RFID reader only when it's ready to receive the data provided.

Read the description of the SERIN and SEROUT statements in the Basic Stamp Reference and Syntax Manual for details and examples.