Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Newbie - Needs Help getting feedback from optical encoder — Parallax Forums

Newbie - Needs Help getting feedback from optical encoder

Luckylucks1111Luckylucks1111 Posts: 1
edited 2008-07-26 23:48 in BASIC Stamp
I am new to Basic Stamp, was just told about it by a friend the other day. Here is my question:

I am using an integrated stepper motor for my application. This motor integrates the controller, driver, and optical encoder all in one, but the controller cannot receive feedback from the optical encoder regarding position, therefore unable to provide closed loop control. The motor, controller,driver, and optical encoder specs can be found at the following link:

http://www.linengineering.com/LinE/contents/stepmotors/SilverPak_17CE.aspx

Am i able to hook up a Basic Stamp kit to the optical encoder to obtain position feedback? If so, how?

Like i said, i am new to all of this, so any suggestions/advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-07-26 23:48
    [b]Encoder Usage  
    The Silverpak 17CE [b]is not a closed loop system[/b]. The encoder does not connect to the controller/driver. A separate PLC or controller system that can talk to the R256 board and understand the E2 encoder can create a closed loop system. 
    [/b]

[font=Verdana,Verdana][font=Verdana,Verdana][/font][/font]
    After successfully connecting the encoder to the controller, now you can program the controller to run continuously. The motor will stop movement when the indexer goes high. This will send the high signal to Pin 5 on the controller. 

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen