Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Using USB to communicate to and from BS2p — Parallax Forums

Using USB to communicate to and from BS2p

ElectroTechElectroTech Posts: 2
edited 2008-07-26 15:45 in BASIC Stamp
I have seen the Board of Education USB version in the Mouser catalog. It uses USB instead of the basic serial port to download programs. I've been searching, but haven't found anything on which components/code is required to do this on any project.

Does anyone have a clue?

I want to

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-25 22:12
    I'm not sure I understand what you're asking.

The Stamps require a serial port for programming. The original Board of Education provided an RS232 compatible serial port with a DB9 connector for this purpose. Parallax later developed a USB Board of Education which replaces the RS232 interface circuitry and the DB9 connector with a USB serial adapter based on a chip from FTDI. The board and its functionality is otherwise unchanged. Parallax does sell a USB serial to RS232 DB9 connector adapter (www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CablesConverters/tabid/166/CategoryID/40/List/0/Level/a/ProductID/378/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName) which works very nicely with the serial Board of Education. Parallax also sells other USB to serial adapters which can be built into projects. FTDI sells several adapters, some built into a USB cable, some of which can also be used to provide a limited amount of +5V power for a project. Here's one such adapter: www.ftdichip.com/Products/EvaluationKits/TTL-232R-WE.htm.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 7/25/2008 10:17:53 PM GMT
  • ElectroTechElectroTech Posts: 2
    edited 2008-07-25 22:57
    Basically what I am saying is this...I am redesigning a previous circuit board and circuit and adding more components. In order to save space on my board, I'd like to include the USB-to-serial adapter "on-board" so I can use a mini-USB connector instead of a large DB-9 connector for the programming/debugging port..

I will check out the links you provided. If you have any other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks!
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2008-07-26 15:45
    Parallax sells the FTDI USB-to-serial chip for exactly that purpose. The BasicStamp code remains the same serial code as it only sees the serial side of the chip. All three lines are supported, so one can program the BasicStamp and use debug mode.

So, take a look at Parallax's FTDI section for info and prices.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    It's sunny and warm here. It is always sunny and warm here.... (unless a typhoon blows through).

Tropically, G. Herzog [noparse][[/noparse] 黃鶴 ] in Taiwan