Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
GPS module + LCD + BS2 — Parallax Forums

GPS module + LCD + BS2

bbnqondbbnqond Posts: 16
edited 2008-08-23 05:45 in BASIC Stamp
Dear All,

I am currently doing a project related to GPS hiking kits.

I wonder if it is possible for me to use the BS2 to link up the LCD module and GPS module together so that i can display the GPS information onto the LCD module?

here are my desired components:

BS2 module:
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/CategoryID/9/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/1/Default.aspx

GPS module:
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/GPS/List/1/ProductID/396/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

LCD module:
http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/txtSearch/LCD/List/1/catpageindex/2/ProductID/51/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName%2cProductName

Regards,
bbnqond

Post Edited (bbnqond) : 7/25/2008 2:25:36 AM GMT

Comments

• dandreaedandreae Posts: 1,375
    edited 2008-07-25 15:09
    Yes, you can use all three components.· You can use the sample code that is listed on the GPS product page and change the debug statements to SEROUT statements.·

Dave

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Dave Andreae

Parallax Tech Support·
  • bbnqondbbnqond Posts: 16
    edited 2008-08-22 04:48
    Sorry for later reply as I went aboard.
    So nice to have your reply indeed.
    So, the only thing i have to do is to change the word "Debug" to "SEROUT" in the sample code?
    I wonder if I could use LCDOUT statement?
    Thz for you reply.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2008-08-22 06:04
    Nope. It's not quite that easy. The debug statement is a special kind of Serout aimed at sending serial data to the computer, while the regular serout is for serial communication in general. Take a look in the Basic Stamp Syntax and Reference Manual (available in .pdf for download or in the BS Editor), and you'll see that the commands have different formats. The PC Debug window is much larger than the LCD, so Debug doesn't generally worry about the size of output text. With the LCD, you need to figure out how to fit everything onto the screen. You have 80 characters to place, and so you'll need to tell the cursor where to start placing that text. As part of the Serout command, you'll have a pin number, the baud mode, and the data (of which cursor position is part of).

Also, if you want a GPS system that can do things like map, keep waypoints and whatnot than you'd do best to get a commercial model, not build your own. The parallax GPS is best if you are going to use it in a microcontroller system like a robot or datalogger.
    edited 2008-08-22 06:06
    Oh, and the LCDOUT is for the BS2p, pe, and px.
  • bbnqondbbnqond Posts: 16
    edited 2008-08-22 06:42
    Thank you for your reply[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    probably i have to go through all the syntax first and write my own program :o
    edited 2008-08-23 05:45
    No need to write a program from scratch (if all that you want it to do at this point is display raw data). Like Dave said, just use the GPS demo and comment out the calls for data that you don't want, and change the debugs to serouts (with the correct formatters).