Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
basic stamp programming/wiring question — Parallax Forums

basic stamp programming/wiring question

firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
edited 2008-07-25 00:19 in BASIC Stamp
Hey im making a homemade fire alarm control panel and im trying to build a supervisory.

A supervisory is a part of a panel that will communicate a message to the panel if a device is disconnected randomly.

What i want its:

When a switch (pull station, smoke detector etc..) is disoconnected anywhere from my system, it shines a led and a small buzzer comes on. I have seen this done before but im confused on how to do it.

I want the easiest method.

If someone could tell me the best way to program that and possibly give a scematic or any advice that would be great.

Chris.

Comments

• JomsJoms Posts: 279
    edited 2008-07-24 22:04
    Are you wiring it as a 'Class A' or 'Class B'? Also, are you trying to build a two wire or a four wire system?

Just wondering, where would you ever be able to use a homemade fire panel except maybe in your house?
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-07-24 22:59
    I've worked trying to interface to a professional fire alarm panel, and it's not trivial. "The Real Thing" has all kinds of requirements for NOT missing signals and NOT raising false alarms.

Most home equipment is designed pretty stand-alone -- smoke alarms especially. That way, home-owners just have to put up one or two stand-alone units and they're done, no additional wiring needed. Retrofitting "additional wiring" might be pretty difficult.
  • Dr. ResonanceDr. Resonance Posts: 12
    edited 2008-07-24 23:16
    hop.gif

A simple SSR (solid state relay) such as those made by National Controls Corporation in Chicago does a nice job.

The TTL output of the Stamp II is 5 Volts.· This can be connected directly to the SSR and provides an optoisolated signal that can control 120 VAC directly.· I use the NNC SSRs a lot in my business and recommend a 10 Amp unit for your application.

The input of either an open or closed switch would provide a 5 Volt high output state which is fed directly into the low side of the SSR.· 120 VAC on the output side with a 5 Amp fuse will give you plenty of power for a light and a small 120 vac alarm device.

Regards,

Dr. Resonance

·
  • firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
    edited 2008-07-24 23:30
    Hey im sorry i was not too clear. I already have the panel built. It works fine. I have 2 relays, one for the audible alarms and 1 for the strobes. The stamp uses a 9 volt dc poweer supply and the alarms uses a 18 volt dc supply.

I was told i could do my supervisory with a RCTIME program and circuit but im confused.. i need help.

(this panel is used in my house, its NOT used to meet fire codes)

Chris.
  • firealarmfreakfirealarmfreak Posts: 105
    edited 2008-07-24 23:32
    Also im using the board of education with the BS2 module.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2008-07-25 00:19
    Put a resistor across the pull and test for the resistor or not to tell if the pull is still connected. Read the manual on RCTIME and the manuals on sensors and industrial control. They all have useful information.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen