Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Development code index — Parallax Forums

Development code index

Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
edited 2008-07-24 18:17 in Propeller 1
I am fairly new to forums and finding articles is a bugbear. I am even less aware of the wiki. And one of my concerns to using these is also I do not want to expose my email address for fear of spam.

However, I want a way to list code being developed (specifically, development tools) for the prop in one place that merely contains a 1 line statement and a link to the forum post for that tool. I am tired of having to try and locate a development tool going through all the older posts to find what I am looking for. Worse still, I reinvent the wheel and then find someone has already done it and a better job.
What we do should be self maintaining.

Here's what I am thinking...

@Moderator - can we have an unlocked stickie (the topic in blue that remains at the head of the forum) titled "Prop Development Tools - Compilers, Debuggers, Assemblers, etc"

This forum would have specific guidlines in the first post...
·· Only 1 short post per development tool which may be updated by the author.
·· It would contain a description of the tool·(being) developed
·· A link to the forum which discusses it
·· It may contain the latest·file attachment of the·tool/code (if considered full release level e.g. PST, PropTool, Propellent ??)

eg
·· Name:················· Developer:··· Forum link:
···Ram Interpreter····· Cluso99······· http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=731577

·· A ram resident version of Chip's spin interpreter intended to operate faster because of removal of constraints of original design.

·· (optional latest code if considered full release level ??)

The forum top post would contain a description of the project and preferably the latest code, so this post gets updated by the developer.

Alternately, create a wiki specifically (and a link in a stickie), but for me that is harder. I want to spend my time on my code.

Any thoughts???

·

Comments

• AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-07-24 16:37
    Your idea is good, but this is (somewhat) covered in the propeller wiki at propeller.wikispaces.org.
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2008-07-24 17:07
    I feel the same and I sometimes tried to promote the cmaptools, that are free available from the web and give the ability to build up a directory that is linked as you like it. See cmapspublic3.ihmc.us/servlet/SBReadResourceServlet?rid=1181572927203_421963583_5511&partName=htmltext as an example.
  • Nick McClickNick McClick Posts: 1,003
    edited 2008-07-24 17:48
    Too true. I've had the same problem. Ask a question only to find it answered in (excellent) documentation buried in the forums. I think the best solution is the wiki. I've added my first article there, and if you run across something that's not already on the wiki, it's easy to put it up. propeller.wikispaces.org

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Concentrate on understanding the problem, not applying the tool
  • ErNaErNa Posts: 1,749
    edited 2008-07-24 18:17
    I think, wiki is the second best solution, for you are not able to show the structure of a problem or a solution by graphical arangement of the subjects. And cmap tool allow for online collaboration. So no one ready to test it?