Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Done with prototype, now what — Parallax Forums

Done with prototype, now what

limetrudelimetrude Posts: 2
edited 2008-07-25 21:28 in BASIC Stamp
Hello,

I am pretty new to basic stamps, so this may be an inane question for which I apologize in advance.

I have completed a small program/circuit to govern rotary position and speed based upon inputs from various sensors and tactile switches... now I want to turn it into something that is stand alone so as to free up my prototyping board for the next project and to allow me to encase the new circuit in a watertight enclosure for actual application. What is my next step now that the prototype is done? I was thinking about getting a small sodder-style breadboard that I can rewire my circuit, but what about the program on the stamp chip? Do I just get a new stamp chip and put it directly on the circuit after programming it? Is there any hub of examples where people have done this?

Thanks!

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-07-23 23:44
    A lot depends on what kind of prototype board and Stamp module you've been using. If you're using a HomeWork board, the Stamp is made of several pieces that are permanently attached to the board. You'd have to get a Stamp module and download the same program to it using the Stamp Editor. If you've used something like a Board of Education, the Stamp module is socketed and can just be removed from the prototype board and plugged into some other board. The program remains with the Stamp module although you can always re-download it if you want.
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2008-07-23 23:49
    I am sure you know this but never hurts to be reminded. Get a 24 pin socket and do not attempt to solder the Stamp to what ever board you decide on.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When you spend 10 times what it cost to build it yourself - That's when it becomes a HOBBY !

···································································
  • limetrudelimetrude Posts: 2
    edited 2008-07-24 00:04
    Thanks for the reminder, I will definitely avoid doing so. I have heard this in the past and can appreciate the hazard, not to mention I would like to be able to put it back on the prototype board someday if I ever decide to change my program...

I have been using the Board of Education, so I guess I am pretty well set for switching over from the prototyping mode...

Thanks for the help... I will keep watching for any further information...
  • kenwtnkenwtn Posts: 250
    edited 2008-07-24 00:20
    All you need is to decide on a power source either Battery or Plug in Power Supply 6 - 9 Volts would be great. Then on the board you will need to build a 5 volt regulated circuit to feed the Basic Stamp. I usually create 3 lines on the board GND, 5 Volts Regulated and 9Volts un-regulated. If you are going to do you programming on the board of education then you will not need to add a serial port or anything like that.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When you spend 10 times what it cost to build it yourself - That's when it becomes a HOBBY !

···································································
  • allanlane5allanlane5 Posts: 3,815
    edited 2008-07-24 14:55
    And yes, you'll need to purchase another BS2 to sit in your circuit.
  • MSDTechMSDTech Posts: 342
    edited 2008-07-24 18:41
    If you get a solder type board for your circuit, you might want to consider the Basic Stamp 2 OEM kit. It has the voltage regulator and rs232 circuitry included. You can solder the OEM unit directly on the board, as the BS2 interpreter is socketed on the OEM Module. You will need to reload your program into the new stamp, but at $31, its cheaper than buying a new stamp module.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampOEM/tabid/135/CategoryID/10/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/21/Default.aspx

Post Edited (MSDTech) : 7/24/2008 6:46:31 PM GMT
  • desulfatordesulfator Posts: 5
    edited 2008-07-25 21:28
    I use the OEM modules exclusively for prototyping and production. They are rugged, the pins do not break off and it comes with the serial interface ready to go to work.

Should you commit the sin of blowing an I/O port during the development and testing phase, replacement DIP ICs are readily available to get your project back on track.

It is a shame that Parallax does not have OEM flavors for all of it's offerings.· I cried when I found out the BS2sx OEM assembled is no longer available.· Now I have to take the additional time to assemble the ^#^%$#%$ kit form when I build up a circuit for a customer.· [noparse]:([/noparse]
    But that is better than having to deal with the fragile standard modules which are nearly impossible to repair if you blow an I/O port.

The Radio Shack prototyping boards (276-168 and 276-158) at $3.50 each, with power supply busses make for rapid prototyping.·

Hinged standoffs from Digi-Key allow for stacking PC boards while allowing the board to be swung out for troubleshooting.

As pointed out in another posting PACTEC CM and DM series plastic enclosures (desktop series) come in a wide variety of sizes and configurations with plenty of room for adding LCD displays, rotary and rocker switches, etc...

http://www.pactecenclosures.com/

Post Edited (desulfator) : 7/25/2008 9:42:11 PM GMT