Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax wheel/motor Object — Parallax Forums

Parallax wheel/motor Object

Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
edited 2008-07-24 03:35 in Propeller 1
Hi,
·Has anyone written a object for the new Parallax wheel/motor combo's ? If not i'll start on one.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Thank's Brian

·"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ·· Albert Einstein

www.PropelX.com

www.NorthStarMachining.com

Comments

• DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-07-23 14:29
    ya I tried.... didn't go so well. Norris65 gave me some code for controlling them, it's basically the whole object. it's just missing a couple lesser used commands,if I remember right. Let me get permission from him before I post it. I'm not sure what he has in mind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • norris56norris56 Posts: 69
    edited 2008-07-23 14:40
    Here is the motor control object that I built to use in my RoboStool project. It covers most of the basic motor functions.
    You can certainly expand upon it if you wish. Hope this helps.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Steve Norris

www.norrislabs.com
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-07-23 17:53
    I think you could just use the quadrature object to read the encoders and an h-bridge to control the motors instead of the extra hardware motor controller?
    These Motors are beautiful, I have to find a reason to justify buying them... smile.gif
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2008-07-23 19:17
    the controller has a lot more control than just reading the encoder, in fact I'm pretty sure the quadrature object won't work, the communication to the encoder is serial.

the controller/encoder allows you to set max speed, ramp rate, go a certain number of "ticks" stay at a position, and probably more I'm not remembering. you could use Norris's code and not HB25's but, with them it's a really good setup.

I tried to not use the HB25's at first thinking I could find a cheaper or better solution. I finally realized that they are well worth the money, and I could find no equal for the price.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "A complex design is the sign of an inferior designer." - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

DGSwaner
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-07-23 19:23
    Ah, ok so I guess I'll put those on my wish list as well...
    Thanks for the info.
  • Brian_BBrian_B Posts: 842
    edited 2008-07-24 03:35
    Thanks' Steve,
    It will work just fine .

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Thank's Brian

·"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." ·· Albert Einstein

www.PropelX.com

www.NorthStarMachining.com